Menu

What age range should what subjects begin to become independent?

home4school

I realize it would depend on the child and the curriculum, but we are no where near independent anything here! I keep reading posts about independent work time, etc., it's even on the Charlotte Mason schedules, but I can't imagine what type of child and what type of curriculum, except a self-teaching one.

The only independent work around here is spelling and that's not even 100%. We need to work towards some independence, but I never have anything they can do on their own without my help. What am I missing?

Just curious!:bigear:

Kim

(BTW, my boys are 4th and 6th)

Ours do math on their own from about 3rd grade on. I just help with the problems that they miss or if the wording confuses them. We use BJU, ABeka and then Saxon from 65 on upwards. Those books really teach the concepts well. Spelling is just a little drill time if they need it and tests. We do a pre-test of each lesson to show them how much they already know :)

Each of mine pretty much demanded independent work beginning around age eight, although it wasn't an overnight, flip-the-switch kind of thing. It just gradually became clear that they were happier and more productive working on their own in some subjects, so we transitioned in that direction.

My son is now 10 (which I think translates to 5th grade, going strictly by age), and he does the following independently:

- Reading for all subjects (history, literature, science, math reading)

- Vocabulary

- Spanish

- Greek

For math, we go over the lesson together. Then he does the day's assignment by himself, unless he needs help with a specific problem. I go over his work, point out mistakes and let him correct them. He's taking geography through Florida Virtual School, and we take a similar approach with that. I go through the lesson with him, then turn him loose to do the assignments. I'm available to help, but he does the work on his own. (We did the same thing with the FLVS art class in the first semester.)

The only subject we still do "together" is English. For that one, we read through the pages of the text together, then do most of the exercises orally. We're doing a modified version of the Classical Writing approach this year. So, that involves reading over the sample together and discussing it, picking out any unfamiliar words and seeing if we can find any connections to the grammar he's currently studying. When it comes to the writing, though, again, he does that independently. He turns in a rough draft, which I correct and make suggestions about how to improve. Then he revises it and turns in a final copy.

I do think this is a very individual thing, though.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I realize it would depend on the child and the curriculum, but we are no where near independent anything here! I keep reading posts about independent work time, etc., it's even on the Charlotte Mason schedules, but I can't imagine what type of child and what type of curriculum, except a self-teaching one.

The only independent work around here is spelling and that's not even 100%. We need to work towards some independence, but I never have anything they can do on their own without my help. What am I missing?

Just curious!:bigear:

Kim

(BTW, my boys are 4th and 6th)

Some subjects can be done independently, while others require explicit teaching for longer periods of time. I would say you have to find a balance between you teaching them a lesson/concept, then provide them time to practice that new skill independently.

For example, teach them the concept, give plenty of examples so you can check their comprehension of the new concept, then provide them time to practice. There is an old saying in the teaching world that says, "the more you are working at teaching, the less they are working at learning" (aka: they need to be doing the bulk of the work--not you). For my ds8, we review concepts (10-15 mins), teach him new concept (10-15 mins), then he does independent work (30-45 mins.).

It sounds like they are trying to get away with you doing the work for them, or you providing them the motivation. They need to find their own motivation to do their work.

Wow, I can't imagine! I have to hold their hands thru everything. My 12yo is easily distracted and I have to sit with him even thru his math assignment just to keep him on track, point it out when he starts going about things the wrong way. He just "forgets" how to do things we've been doing for months and months and months and.....

Neither enjoy reading, so all reading is done as a group, I read a page, 10yo reads a page, 12 yo reads a page, etc. I even try bribing them into free reading with the Pizza Hut Book-Its and the Six Flags tickets, but its like pulling teeth, especially with my oldest, to get them to read.

Don't even get me started on writing!:glare: They are both pencil-phobic. My 10yo couldn't even give me ONE sentence orally today from his spelling list. He just couldn't think without "my help".

Maybe I should chunk all this Classical stuff and just get some PACES or LifePacs. Maybe then they could be somewhat independent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teaching them, it just seems that somewhere along the way they should be able to do something without me right there. I need to figure out some things to use that would foster some independence in them.

I guess if they were in ps, they would want the teacher to come home with them for homework!

Kim

It should be a gradual process, first starting with the subjects that come easiest to your child. Second, it is important to have curriculum that is designed for independent work, I think.

My 10DS, 5th grade, and the only thing I do with him is

1. K12 History (that is designed for him to do alone, but I love it, so we do it together.

2. Prima Latina

3. 50 States Geography (mostly I am doing flashcards with him)

He does alone

Math (TT7)

Grammar (Growing with Grammar)

Science (Apologia Zoo II, except we do experiments together)

Vocab (Wordly Wise)

Jump In Writing Program.

My time with him is at most an hour....he has about one and half hours on his own......of course we are interacting, I am answerign questions here and there, etc etc. But you see here that I picked all top curriculum but all that are designed TO the student, no teacher's manual neccessary.

This is the first year we have done it this way, and I am much happier, and feel as if he is learning some independence, plus gives me time with the K5 and 2 year old DS's.

K

Maybe I should chunk all this Classical stuff and just get some PACES or LifePacs. Maybe then they could be somewhat independent.

Well, I wouldn't go that far! Maybe you could just choose one subject, though, and see if there is some way to transition them to working independently on that one thing? Then you could build on that.

We're right there with you! My ds, 9, isn't really doing any work independently. The most he does by himself is his Horizons Math 4 workbook, and even then I'm "consulted" LOL Everything else we do together. Maybe start with one small thing a day. I have just started having him read a few pages of his novel (LLATL or TLP) independently. Usually we read the chapters out loud together. My ds doesn't resist doing his work, just isn't independent yet. Honestly, I feel like there's plenty of time for that.

HTH!

Nan

I have 7th, 5th, and 1st. They are not really independent in anything much (older does a Vocab program on her own, but that's about it.) I teach them almost every topic, and then they have "homework" that they do once they understand the concept.

Their independent work is the work they do that they personally want to learn. It is in addition to what I require of them. They all always have something they are studying on their own. That takes care of them learning *truly* independent learning, all the while I am making sure they get a good solid education.

JMHO.

You know, honestly, I was going to mention ACE PACES for your boys. I kept putting them off for a few years thinking they are not a "good enough" education, etc. but now we are in our 2nd year of using them and I LOVE them and my kids LOVE them.

They have placement tests so that you can start them out exactly where they need to be and go from there. My 4th grade dd does hers almost all on her own. My older dd is mentally impaired but just about done with ACE 1st grade and she does much of it on her own as well.

Here's how it works with my 12 yo:

Spelling with me

Grammar with me (it's just Daily Grams so I sit next to him while he does it then I correct it on the spot)

Latin with me then he does the exercises independently usually

Math lesson with me then he does the problem set on his own

Literature--he reads the assignment then we do the K12 lesson together

Writing--we do the K12 lesson together and he does any assigned writing on his own

History--sometimes I read aloud from one book other times he reads a different book on his own and answers the questions in writing

Science--he reads this aloud to me and then he does the questions on his own. We do labs together.

When he was in 5th grade I had to sit next to him and redirect him constantly. In 6th grade I had had enough and my younger son was joining us for school so the older one *had* to do some work independently. It was rocky at first but he did transition finally.

He turns 11yo next week & has been working independently on at least half of his lessons for a number of years. This year he works independently on 3 "blocks" & works with me on the 4th block. His workload is as follows:

Blue Block (independently)

Maths:

• math copywork-5"
  • 1-2 pages MUS-25"

Science:

Mondays-Thursdays

• read 20" CLP Nature Reader
  • write 10" (narration on reading)

Fridays:

• 20" Nature Walk
  • 10" Nature Notebook

Silver Block (independently)

Arts:

20" practice violin

10" M-composer study

T-artist study

W-poetry

TH-basic drawing (Complete-a-sketch books)

F-geography

English:

10" Copywork / penmanship

20" independent assigned reading

Green Block (with Mom)

English:

5" Spelling (Sequential Spelling)

25" composition (IEW's Fables, Fairy Tales, & Myths)

Latin:

30" Lively Latin (M-TH)

15" Lively Latin computer games (F)

History / Literature:

30" M-NZ History (Frontier of Dreams)

T-Empire History (Our Island Story)

W-American History (This Country of Ours)

TH-World History (Story of the World)

F-Shakespeare (Tales from Shakespeare)

Red Block (independently)

Computer:

20" Typing (MWF)

JumpStart 5th/6th grade (T/TH)

Japanese:

20" Language Lesson (The Learnables)

10" Kana practice

Tidy Up: 10"

Ds#2 has been a good self-starter right from the beginning. I've always used weekly assignment sheets & even when he was 4yo, I would include some independent work on his sheet (math manipulative activities, listening to stories on tapes, puzzles, basic penmanship practice, etc.) This wasn't busywork, but instead independent practice + laying the foundation of a habit of independent work.

I wish I could say that Ds#1 was the same type of worker, but he's a different kettle of fish. Ds#1's main challenge is to remained focused long enough to complete his assignments. I need to have him within my sight or he forgets what he's supposed to be doing.

Blessings,

I think it depends on a combination of the teacher, the child, and the curriculum.

:iagree: These are the variables.

My oldest ds, now 19, was very independent from early on while my middle guys are less so. This is partly due to abilities, personality, and curriculum.

And from a practical standpoint, we have a very busy 2yo. It's vital that some subjects are at least semi-independent.