Menu

svengo and gnorsi

You know when you use smilies, the code is a colon, then usually a word? Like the code for :auto: is colon-auto-colon, and

the code for :lurk5: is colon-lurk5-colon?

I have wondered for a long time what svengo means, as in :svengo:

I looked it up. It's Italian. Svengo is the first person singular present tense of svenire. "To faint or pass out."

I think that's awesome.

:gnorsi: I don't know what gnorsi means. It seems to be Italian, but I can't find an Italian translation. Does anyone know?

You know when you use smilies, the code is a colon, then usually a word? Like the code for :auto: is colon-auto-colon, and

the code for :lurk5: is colon-lurk5-colon?

I have wondered for a long time what svengo means, as in :svengo:

I looked it up. It's Italian. Svengo is the first person singular present tense of svenire. "To faint or pass out."

I think that's awesome.

:gnorsi: I don't know what gnorsi means. It seems to be Italian, but I can't find an Italian translation. Does anyone know?

It's short for "signorsì" and it means "Sir, Yes Sir!" Colloquial military term, I guess.

Edited by Pam "SFSOM" in TN

So what's the deal with the smiley taking off after soluting? In what situation would the use of this smiley be appropriate? (I want to use it now; I hadn't noticed it.)

He's heading off to do what he was instructed to do, I think. I always giggle a little imagining the smiley battle he's heading off to :gnorsi:

:lol:

So what's the deal with the smiley taking off after soluting? In what situation would the use of this smiley be appropriate? (I want to use it now; I hadn't noticed it.)

Say some imaginary online friend says to me, "Pam, get off yer hiney and go teach that kid some math! Shoo!" Because, say, I had said, "Somebody kick me if you see me on this board before 4 pm."

Then I would say, "Oh, right. :gnorsi:"