Menu

bailing out of Lial's.... need opinions please

I have decided to stop Lial's Introductory Algebra with my 13 year old son. I thought that after having a break at Christmas, he would be fresh to begin again. He actually cried yesterday, so I just gave him an assignment to read over the section he was working in before Christmas (3.3). He held the book awhile, but really didn't read or review. Today, when I pulled the book out he went from being happy to almost crying again. As I was trying to decided where and how to begin he began telling me how much he hated math. He has NEVER hated math.

I am disappointed. I absolutely LOVE the Lials books. But we aren't getting anywhere and we are both miserable.

I posted to buy a used Chalkdust on the Sale / Swap boards. For now, I am going to use Teaching Textbooks because I already own it, have it here, and can begin today.

Question:

Has anyone used TT Al 1 with a math bright (usually anyway) 8th grader? Is there an inexpensive way to 'beef up' TT?

All opinions needed and welcomed!

Thanks,

Pam

TT as it is written doesn't really need 'beefing up'--it just moves at a slower pace than traditional programs. I suggest following their program through Algebra 2 and then working an additional Algebra 2 text (more mainstream) to fill in gaps and expand concepts. TT's Algebra 2 ends about half-way through mainstream texts--while this material is picked up in their Pre-Calc text--after that one there are more holes to be filled before college level Calc...

Maybe the slower pace/easier homework of TT will motivate your son--or at least give him less grief!

I think Lial's can be overwhelming for younger boys. I used it with ds#2 in 7th/8th grades, but the look of it caused ds#3 to almost swoon! It really is written for a more mature audience although many of us have used it successfully with 7th or 8th graders. I found Jacobs Alg. to be just the thing for ds#3 - he understands the author's humor :-) and the text doesn't overwhelm him.

I think Lial's can be overwhelming for younger boys. I used it with ds#2 in 7th/8th grades, but the look of it caused ds#3 to almost swoon! It really is written for a more mature audience although many of us have used it successfully with 7th or 8th graders. I found Jacobs Alg. to be just the thing for ds#3 - he understands the author's humor :-) and the text doesn't overwhelm him.

It will be interesting to see how my other boys respond to Lial's, but so far, it's been fine for my oldest. He first used Lial's BCM during the second half of 6th and first half of 7th grades. I thought the text was very accessible, even for a younger student, and so did he. The same has been true of Lial's Intro Algebra, although at times I wish there was more explanation ~ for both our sakes.;)

Jacobs seems good, too, and I'm open to using that with my other boys if they don't click with Lial's ~ or if my oldest ends up hitting a wall with Lial's. I'm also pretty sure I'll use Jacob's Geometry since I haven't heard great reports about Lial's for that subject.

You're probably right; I just don't have any girls to observe :-). I was all set to use it with #3 because #2 did so well with it at the same age, but I guess #3 is just a different sort of kid. Oh, and #2 is using Jacobs Geometry and we really like it (after trying Chalkdust and Life of Fred).

My 14 yr old (8th gr.) son is using Jacobs, and is coming along nicely. We used TT Alg. I for awhile last fall, but for whatever reason it didn't suit him very well. We got about half way through and everything just stalled. I wondered at the time if he just wasn't ready for Alg. I. We took a break, and then switched to Jacobs which is going well. Not sure if it's just a timing issue or a different approach.

If you end up feeling like your son needs a bit more, you could get some Key to... workbooks. Although, I never felt as though TT was lacking.

Good luck!

Laura

My ds did Dolciani for the first semester. He had an 88 average. I really felt he wasn't progressing appropriately though and was losing too much of his prior knowledge. I was terribly frustrated. I thought that maybe TT would help in that it would start more basic (boy does it) and go more slowly and somehow, it'd work for ds.

However, after checking out the website on the Systematic Mathematics (systemath.com), I felt that it really addressed my concerns with ds, especially the mynah bird article. I already know my ds could do the pre-algebra work easily but since he's missing "something," I decided to do Math Rescue with him then go on to the Algebra A, B, C and D (Algebra I and II). He probably will find much of it pretty easy, especially at first, but some review won't hurt him. Also, that program doesn't penalize the student for backing up and making sure they have the foundational skills down pat. They don't end up behind because of it.

Seriously, I was struggling with what to do with ds. I felt like I was going to need a couple different programs and TONS of review to make it work. The Systematic Mathematics is giving me hope that with ONE program, he can back up, catch up, and progress appropriately without multiple programs, tons of work, etc. I feel like it's answering my concerns.

Just another thought.

THANKS AGAIN ASTA!

My math bright 7th grader used TT Alg. I last year. We did supplement a bit with ALEKS and Sing. Nem II to keep middle school geometry concepts fresh, but we did not supplement the Algebra. This year she's moved directly into Chalkdust Algebra II without missing a beat. You might want to consider just going with TT for this year. It provides a very solid foundation of the Algebra I concepts. Granted, it skips a few things like the quadratic formula; however, Chalkdust Alg. II doesn't hit the quadratic formula until Chapter 6 of 10. My daughter has a 95 average in Alg. II and just does not seem to be struggling at all, so it appears that TT Alg I was sufficient!

Thanks everyone..... We really can't afford any new books right now. Here's my plan....

1. He is taking the chapter tests in TT PreAlgebra. That will give him a good review and boost his confidence.

2. He will take the chapter tests in TT Algebra 1 until he gets to something new. I think it will be somewhere in the middle of the book.

3. He'll finish out this year using TT.

4. I'll evaluate and make curriculum decisions in May.

Once again.

THANK YOU

We've done exactly this. But when we went from Lial's to TT dd thought TT wasn't very good at all and too easy. I don't personally care for it, although we liked the humour in it, and some people swear by it. We've found the 1965 Dolciani Algebra 1 to be a great fit. She looked at a 1975 one and didn't like it as much. Gelfand's is great at teaching theory, but the problems are long, and you have to go to Charon's site to get the solutions, but they are in PDF and beautiful to behold (if you like Algebra.) Dd, 13, is using Dolciani and Gelfand's as variety is helpful here.

We have Lial's on the shelf for reference, along with a used Foerster's we've never tried. I'm keeping TT Algebra 1 for part of pre-Algebra for my 10 yo (much of the first book is pre-Alg and we're going to mix and match for pre-Algebra. My eldest tested out of pre-Algebra.)