Menu

Freezing milk? Yay or Nay?

I tried this once and the kids said the milk was chunky LOL. Did we not let it thaw enough before drinking it? I'd really like to try it again this month so I am in Wal-Mart less, which should = saving $ as I can't walk in that store without spening $100 :D If you freeze milk how long do you let it thaw before drinking it? I am assuming you thaw it in the fridge, right?

Thanks!

I used to freeze the milk I bought from Costco. I would open and empty a little from the top so it wouldn't freeze and crack. To thaw I'd take it out of the freezer and put it on a towel and let thaw overnight. By the morning I could tell if it was ready for the fridge or not. I try to get it almost completely thawed before putting it in the fridge or it will never thaw it seems. If there's a chance it could get too warm while I'm not around I'll put it in the fridge and take it out again later when I'm home. It takes some experimentation but it should work fine. Just make sure you always have one or two thawed out at all times.

Hmmm, we never had much luck either - but my grandma does it all the time with success. HMPH.

LOL, she does let her thaw in the fridge - i think for a day or so.....

And i only spent $23.72 at WM yesterday, because, well, i only took a $25 gift card with me! :D

Glad it's not just me! :) Staying under budget is good, I need to work at this more because it's killing us each month.

I used to freeze the milk I bought from Costco. I would open and empty a little from the top so it wouldn't freeze and crack. To thaw I'd take it out of the freezer and put it on a towel and let thaw overnight. By the morning I could tell if it was ready for the fridge or not. I try to get it almost completely thawed before putting it in the fridge or it will never thaw it seems. If there's a chance it could get too warm while I'm not around I'll put it in the fridge and take it out again later when I'm home. It takes some experimentation but it should work fine. Just make sure you always have one or two thawed out at all times.

Maybe that's what our problem was; it wouldn't completely thaw. I will try to give it more time, maybe only freeze half what I buy.

Up until high school, we had our milk delivered by the milkman. He'd come by at 3-4 am, and leave the milk on the stoop. This was a problem in the winter in Buffalo, NY, because the milk would freeze while it waited for us to wake up.

Depending on how frozen it was, we'd let it thaw on the counter for awhile, then move it to the fridge.

HTH!

Hillary

I freeze goat's milk for dd and it defrosts fine. I find, though, that it doesn't defrost in the fridge even in 24 hours. So I leave it on the counter for several hours to mostly defrost, then move it to the fridge. We have a very cold kitchen, though. I don't know if I'd recommend it for a room that's 68-70 degrees.

We've always frozen our milk and, now that you mentione the "chunks", my mother always bought 2% or 1% and I remember always having to shake it after it had been frozen. We drink skim milk and don't have any problems (or chunks) when it thaws. We buy 8 gallons at a time at Costco and keep two in the fridge (one to drink and one to thaw) all the time.

I have not had good luck with dairy freezing. It seems to precipitate the proteins and give the milk an odd texture. I've also had less than stellar results buying sour cream, etc. through our buying club, as these come frozen and never, ever thaw in a way that is not runny and grainy. :ack2:

We lived on an island for part of my childhood. Grocery trips to the mainland every couple of weeks involved stocking up on, and freezing, milk. I think my mother just thawed it on the counter. I can't recall how it tasted, but apparently we were all used to it.

The proteins and fats are somewhat altered when milk is frozen, and the higher the fat content ~ and/or if it's not homogenized ~ the more you'll notice a change in the texture.

We freeze milk frequently. Sometimes I can get it for $1 per half gallon and buy 10 of them. That's when I freeze it.

I open each one and empty some of it so it doesn't crack from the expansion. About 1-2 days before I need it, I take it out of the freezer and leave it on the counter on a towel (to absorb the condensation). I thaw it completely on the counter and shake it before putting it into the fridge.

Warning: Frozen milk (at least nonfat) turns yellow when frozen. It turns back into it's normal color after it thaws. But the color might freak the kids if they aren't used to it. Mine have no problems with it and there's no taste difference.