Menu

DD almost 6 has been pretending to be a baby or a younger child for two days...

My dd had a couple spells like this. I found it a bit off-putting but played along. Playing along usually just meant letting her carry a pacifier around (funny, since she had firmly rejected pacifiers as an infant and NEVER used them) and giving her extra cuddles. It usually passed after a couple days.

it is annoying. I've let her do it and then I tell her "enough". I'm glad to know I've not done something to mess with her head. The child's never known anyone except Mommy and I've spent every minute with her and cared for her, etc., so I don't think she's insecure. Thanks for the reassurance.

My kids do that, but in the sense of one or two of them are babies and the others are parents/older siblings. At least I'm not having to play along with it. It's irritating, but I let it go until my oldest (also 6) starts to "cry". It's loud, loud, oh and loud. I put a stop to it immediately.

My 8yod does this from time to time. She is the youngest and the only girl and does it for attention. She recognizes how cute babies are (and she simply adores them.) We joke that we will have to get diapers and feed her baby food and that she will miss out on {insert favorite food} for dinner with the rest of the family. Then we just ignore her. I do try to make sure that she has plenty of hugs and remind her that she will NEVER be too big to sit in my lap:). She never does it around her friends, just immediate family.

My older two do that from time to time. I just don't respond to it at all. If they want to play house or babies, that's one thing, behaving like babies when it is not play time is a whole 'nother ball game.

I just tell them, there's a time and place for everything and (unless it's play time) this is niether the time, nor the place. Then I tell them to use their big kid words and ignore them till they do.

My dd had a couple spells like this. I found it a bit off-putting but played along. Playing along usually just meant letting her carry a pacifier around (funny, since she had firmly rejected pacifiers as an infant and NEVER used them) and giving her extra cuddles. It usually passed after a couple days.

My second dd went through this- even asking for a pacifier and bottle for her birthday because there simply weren't any in the house. She, too, had never used a pacifier as an infant and had only the occasional bottle when Mommy was out, but at 5yo she suddenly wanted to BE a baby. I think I alternated between playing along and being annoyed because I never did come up with a coordinated response plan. This dd stayed on the "young" side developmentally for a long, long time.

However, this same dd is now nearly 21yo. She is a mature young woman, in college, and in love with the man who may possibly be "the one." So, to some degree, I look back and see the desire to "be the baby" as one of those things like potty training- I've not seen any 18yo young ladies or young men wearing diapers as they walk up the aisle to receive their high school diploma. This, too, shall pass.

I think it's normal. I play along with cuddling, rocking and tucking in for a nap. They often mimic how I "parent" the "baby" with their dolls.

Funny though - my 3yo likes to pretend she's 6 (so she can do school) one minute and a baby (so she can be babied) the next. Ds5 does this too, though not to the extent dd3 does it.