Menu

Cracked, sore feet on 13 yos..Athlete's foot?

My ds has sore feet. They are peeling and have two small cracks on the sole that are painful.

I have tried a cream for Athlete's Foot that has an ingredient called Terbinafine hydrochloride cream 1%. This has made no differnece. He says that his feet do not itch.

I have a well-child checkup on Tuesday but I was hoping to help him get some relief sooner.

Thanks for any thoughts on this! Poor kid is limping!

My ds has sore feet. They are peeling and have two small cracks on the sole that are painful.

I have tried a cream for Athlete's Foot that has an ingredient called Terbinafine hydrochloride cream 1%. This has made no differnece. He says that his feet do not itch.

I have a well-child checkup on Tuesday but I was hoping to help him get some relief sooner.

Thanks for any thoughts on this! Poor kid is limping!

Sounds like Athlete's Foot to me. Can you talk to a pharmacist and see if there's anything better?

Sounds like my 11 year old step son's feet when his eczema is really bad. His mother thought he had athlete's foot, too, when it started a few years ago. But the athlete's foot medicines did no good. We have him use Aquaphor on his feet daily to keep them from getting bad. Do a search, there was a great thread a day or two ago about home eczema treatments on this board.

I have this type of thing on an ongoing basis. My eczema gets bad, so the athlete's foot gets a strong hold, or the athlete's foot starts and my eczema breaks out.

As I said on the eczema thread, yesterday I got my left foot cast off and it was EXTREMELY yucky. No wonder it was so itchy even though it was only on for three weeks! I won't even describe it here. :eek:

Sounds like what I have/ had....I use AmLactin (12%); you don't need a prescription for it....and there are generics. The lotion is between $15 and $25 and has lasted way over a year. It helps after about 2 days of putting it on once or twice a day.

Carrie:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama

My feet are like this if I don't lotion them daily. I slather on lotion and then put my socks on. At night, I slather on the lotion and then put on a pair of silicone-lined socks. I also wash them every day or two with a salt scrub. I don't know how bad your son's is, but DH swore up adn down that I have a fungus thing. It was just dry. VERY dry.

He may have Candida, which is systemic yeast. This needs a life change approach, especially dietary.

For now he can rub coconut oil (plain but a good kind like virgin, not processed) on his feet at night, and then put on cotton socks and sleep with them on. I also put on magnesium oil before the coconut oil now, but in the past the coconut oil alone has helped.

The key is that it is likely systemic and getting to the root cause will make him not have to do this forever. I just have trouble imagining a young man in a college dorm not getting flack for having to rub coconut oil (or anything) on his feet and then wear socks to bed at night!

Here is an article which is a start to understanding that Candida can show up as athlete's foot among many other things.

http://www.naturallythriving.com/basics/cfd.php

How sweaty do his feet get? My dd has something called dyshidrosis eczema. I'll link to a previous conversation.

My younger son has this on his feet and fingers. It does get better and mostly healed when I give him cod liver oil. If I stop giving the cod liver oil for a couple of days, it starts to come back. It's that dramatic the effect of the cod liver oil.