Menu

Lined Notebook Paper

My stash of lined notebook / filler paper is nearly empty.  Are there any brands these days that produce real/old-fashioned paper that feels like .... paper ... rather than plastic-y, slick, and super smooth?  (Any brands to avoid would also be helpful.) 

Edited by domestic_engineer
added the term "filler"
  • Like 1

Last I checked, Doane was still nice and thick. If you’re ok with A4 and A5 sizing, Clairefontaine is a nice looseleaf but it’s spendy in the US.

When we’ve gone to buy cheap looseleaf for school the last couple of years, there hasnt been much choice in the stores—2 options if we are lucky. I agree, quality has gone down significantly.

• Thanks 1

This goes in the category of “I feel older every time I leave the house” as well as “People aren’t complaining because they are too young to know that things used to work.” The latter I usually use for technological conveniences that are patently inconvenient and don’t work, such as anything Walgreens uses to automate their system (I showed up at Walgreens for a vaccination I registered for only to find out that the store didn’t have what I signed up to get).

The technology one has a corollary of people also being too old to have used the tech that previously worked, lol!

I think if I had a foolproof Time Machine, I would be tempted to go back and buy supplies like this for the Hive. We could have our own secret stockpile. 

• Like 2

What’s super frustrating is that it isnt even like you can find a “good brand” and stick with it re: sizing. Mead sells both 8.5x 11 and 8.5 x 10.5. It’s difficult to find the paper weight and to know whether it’s coated or uncoated in finish. It’s all just so stupidly tricky if you actually care about what you are buying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

This goes in the category of “I feel older every time I leave the house”

[snip]

I think if I had a foolproof Time Machine, I would be tempted to go back and buy supplies like this for the Hive. We could have our own secret stockpile. 

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

What?! I still have some leftover from when I was in school. 

Yes, this paper predicament makes me feel old.  I've been out of school far too long and I've homeschooled too many kids through too many grades to have any leftover.  It does make me remember that I complained about what I thought was "bad" paper in junior high .... the nearly gray, rough paper because it had such a high percentage of recycled content.  Sigh, I'd love to have that paper now.

Does anyone remember/have the website for that company that sold only paper products to homeschoolers?  Miller's paper?  Are they still in business?  They used to do the convention circuit and had handwriting paper, pads of spelling paper, blank books, etc.  

• Like 1

I haven't had to buy any in the last few years, so I didn't know quality was getting poor and that sizes have changed.  

I still have a stockpile of spiral binders I'm using.  But I often see paper for sale at resale shops and garage sales. 

• Thanks 1