Menu

Actually Graduating Students

Do I need to *do* anything--ie, submit paperwork of any kind--when The Boys complete their last day of 12th grade?

We're in Florida.

Aside from giving The Boys a nice, Home-Made diploma and a handshake do I need to do anything for the State to recognize that they're "done" with school?

I don't know Florida law, but I doubt that you have to do anything.

I'm in TN and FWIW I graduated my oldest a few weeks ago.  We had a little diploma-signing ceremony (he and I both signed it) and then we had a nice family dinner.  When I sent in the paperwork to the school district for my younger two last week I did not mention my oldest, but I got a message back from the homeschool person saying that that she had received the documents and congratulating my oldest (who had been registered as a 12th grader this past year) on graduating.

If you registered your homeschool, and The Boys are below the age at which education becomes optional (e.g. going to college early), check Florida law to see whether you need to submit anything to say they are getting education elsewhere.

I would be surprised if there were any compulsory requirements if The Boys are of age, but check anyway in case there's a nice perk available if you do.

Termination letter like KeriJ said. I think there may also be some kind of affidavit you have to do, maybe only if the child will be going to a Florida college/university? I'm not certain of the details there as my oldest is 15 so we haven't dealt with it yet, but I've seen that mentioned in Florida groups.

I'll add that I really believe that all students should get control of a copy of their paperwork at that point. So I'd be sure they have a digital copy of their transcript and any other college application related paperwork (course descriptions if you made them, school profile, etc.) that you have.

• Like 4