Menu

"I accidentally read the whole book."

What should I do with my 8yo after he read through SOTW2 for the second time?  

1. 1. What should I do with my 8yo after he read through SOTW2 for the second time?

• Have him read through the supplemental book selections from the Activity Guide.
    • Have him study the other history book I'd considered for this year, Famous Men of the Middle Ages.
    • Do art for the rest of the year instead of history.
    • Make him continue with SOTW2 one chapter a week for the rest of the year just as I had planned.
    • Go on to SOTW3.
    • Do this other thing you didn't think up.

Thus declared my eight-year-old. This is the second time he's accidentally read all the way to the end of Story of the World II. The first time, I told him we'd still read the chapter aloud each week and do activities. This time I'm not so sure. It's a delightful history book, but it's not such a wondrous literary accomplishment that I'd want to spend time studying it in-depth after already having read it through twice.

What should I do?

Have him read the Famous Men of the Middle Ages; but even then, I'd ask what history he wants to read about. I'd probably let him choose. Maybe show him a timeline....This is where we are, this is where you were reading, these are your choices....

I think it's great that he just got crazy reading, unless this is an obedience issue to you. If you really want to stay in that time period, then just check out books each week that he wants to read.

I actually hate going to the library, so I just started getting online and reserving my books and going by to pick them up.

Carrie:-)

I actually hate going to the library, so I just started getting online and reserving my books and going by to pick them up.

My best friend's boyfriend works at a branch of our library system. I go online, reserve the books, and then he brings them to me. Really, I ought to make that man cheesecakes.

It's not an obedience issue to me. I'm happy he's reading.

Thank you for the input. I for some reason hadn't considered getting his input. :tongue_smilie:

Personally, I would go ahead and still go through and do the activities in the activity guide and spend some more in depth time with each chapter. I think there is a difference between reading SOTW and studying each topic in depth. We have read SOTW (or listened to them on audio book) several times and I find we get more out of them each time.

I would read all my schoolbooks the first week of classes. It never occurred to me to question whether I needed to study them as well. I certainly didn't memorize them.

I think that if you go through them with him anyway, it will be fine. I would take the hint, though, and give him a lot of supplemental reading and discussion to do. Sounds like you have a bookworm on your hands!

I voted to read books from the AG, but I would also do activities and mapwork each week as you read. Even if he has already read the chapter the extra attention and discussion should help with understanding and retention. Famous Men is also a good suggestion. My ds really enjoyed that last year when we did SOTW 2.

My ds 8 has this same "problem" with reading ahead. He is constantly reading the KHE for fun. I agree with the previous poster in that we get more out of the material when we reread.

Can I have your kid instead? I like yours better:D

Your kid is the one I always vowed I would have.

My kids are the "do we haaaave toooo?" kids.

Ah, but you know what? Weird kids are weird. Yeah, Verdi disappears into his room with a thick book and comes back an hour later having finished it. But, Verdi stares at you blankly for twenty seconds after you say something, then, you can see it register as though you just said it, then, another five seconds later, he responds. It drives me batty.

Every kid has his or her own strengths. I would be delighted if my five-year-old found snotty gummy noses inappropriate.

But, Verdi stares at you blankly for twenty seconds after you say something, then, you can see it register as though you just said it, then, another five seconds later, he responds. It drives me batty.

LOL. This was ME as a kid. Alright, I admit...that's me NOW.

Every kid has his or her own strengths. I would be delighted if my five-year-old found snotty gummy noses inappropriate.

LOL. You must have read my blog:)

We do WTM history the old way, but I have my son read through STOW as a review in the summer. He reads it in about two weeks and finds it enthralling! He reads the logic stage suggestions from the WTM. I have never seen the recommendations in the AG, so I don't know if they are the same, but I feel like the reading suggestions in WTM are a complete history course and STOW is just another great book to add to the list.

I was cracking up at what you said about your son and the blank look. Ditto here.

Really?! Can I ask you something?

WHY DO YOU DO THAT?!

Okay... sorry... I just have been waiting so long for some light to be shed on this, but all my 8yo does is stare at me and shrug when I ask him.

(And yes, I read your blog.)

I'll bite on this one: It actually takes me time to realize what you said (I could ask you to say it again, but I really just need to think and figure it out) and then I need to formulate a response, mainly the lag in response time is due to perfectionist tendencies. In my case, all the time I need is a combination of SPD and ADD... I think. My dad is a highly intelligent and successful person who does the same thing, so I try not to think that I am "slow", but that is exactly how I would describe it. I am wondering if someone else will answer differently. This could be interesting.

I voted to use the stuff from the AG.

I meant to add that I almost voted art... if you have an art program that focuses on the middle ages, I would do that.

We have Artistic Pursuits K-3, and we haven't gotten around to do it all year. It covers historical art in chronological order. If we were only doing that instead of trying to cram it between our literature selections, I could add more information on artists.

I'm tempted.

All I can say is, I wouldn't recommend going through SOTW a chapter a week, as planned, UNLESS he WANTS to do that.

Any other option, I think , is good :)

My oldest did that with SOTW 4. Since I was really not keen on teaching modern history at that age, we more or less ditched history for the rest of that year.

My oldest did that with SOTW 4. Since I was really not keen on teaching modern history at that age, we more or less ditched history for the rest of that year.

I was waiting for you to chime on this. Your oldest recently read some impressive history stuff, IIRC... Is it safe to assume that ditching history for the rest of the year worked out just fine, then?

I'll bite on this one: It actually takes me time to realize what you said (I could ask you to say it again, but I really just need to think and figure it out) and then I need to formulate a response, mainly the lag in response time is due to perfectionist tendencies. In my case, all the time I need is a combination of SPD and ADD... I think. My dad is a highly intelligent and successful person who does the same thing, so I try not to think that I am "slow", but that is exactly how I would describe it. I am wondering if someone else will answer differently. This could be interesting.

I don't have ADD or SPD (as far as I know), but I could relate to her answer! It's one of two things causing the lag: either I heard what you said, but it came out sounding like "eh uh um eh" and it takes me time to think about the sounds and piece together what it actually means. If I think about it long enough, that "eh uh um eh" actually means "how are you doing?" (weird, I know). I don't misunderstand everyone all the time, and I tend to have trouble understanding certain people (typically men, and certain women). Another possible reason for the lag: I'm deep in thought on something and it takes my brain time to switch courses. Sometimes I really just have to put extra energy into being present and paying attention to you. It wasn't uncommon for me to ask my mom, "what did you say again?" and she said it again, but I'd accidentally zone out mid sentence and have to ask a 3rd time. Drove her nuts! But this is probably a typical kid thing, whereas the first thing is maybe more of a auditory processing problem. I had a hard time with oral drills in school when the class had to chant the answer (Teacher: 5 x 5. Class: 25), but had no problems with written work.

I vote to go on to volume 3.

My son "accidentally" read all four volumes in a couple of months when he was eight (last year). No harm done. He enjoyed them and remembers them well. This year he read Famous Men of Rome, Famous Men of Greece and just started Famous Men of the Middle Ages. He also read Child's History of the World and may well read Gombich's Little History this year as well. He likes to read library books on history and enjoys watching videos on historical topics.

So I say if he likes to read about history then find him good history books to read.

Edited by plimsoll

Yeah, Verdi disappears into his room with a thick book and comes back an hour later having finished it. But, Verdi stares at you blankly for twenty seconds after you say something, then, you can see it register as though you just said it, then, another five seconds later, he responds. It drives me batty.

Wow! My dd does this too! I'm always on the verge of strangling her b/c of her inablilty to listen. It's good to know she's not alone. And I need to remember to practice patience. She's a deep thinker. . .

Actually, I think I do this, too. And so does my dad. It just takes a while to process things aurally. I'm very visual. I can read a 500 page book in a day, but I cannot think on my feet at all when I'm having a conversation. My mind goes blank when I try to think of how to answer people. Then several hours later I think, "Oh, that's what I should have said."

Edited by bonniebeth4

Actually, I think I do this, too. And so does my dad. It just takes a while to process things aurally. I'm very visual. I can read a 500 page book in a day, but I cannot think on my feet at all when I'm having a conversation. My mind goes blank when I try to think of how to answer people. Then several hours later I think, "Oh, that's what I should have said."

:iagree:It's nice to find others like me. 47.gif

I don't have ADD or SPD (as far as I know), but I could relate to her answer! It's one of two things causing the lag: either I heard what you said, but it came out sounding like "eh uh um eh" and it takes me time to think about the sounds and piece together what it actually means. If I think about it long enough, that "eh uh um eh" actually means "how are you doing?" (weird, I know). I don't misunderstand everyone all the time, and I tend to have trouble understanding certain people (typically men, and certain women). Another possible reason for the lag: I'm deep in thought on something and it takes my brain time to switch courses. Sometimes I really just have to put extra energy into being present and paying attention to you. It wasn't uncommon for me to ask my mom, "what did you say again?" and she said it again, but I'd accidentally zone out mid sentence and have to ask a 3rd time. Drove her nuts! But this is probably a typical kid thing, whereas the first thing is maybe more of a auditory processing problem. I had a hard time with oral drills in school when the class had to chant the answer (Teacher: 5 x 5. Class: 25), but had no problems with written work.

LOL, this is my big brother to a T!!!!! He's very smart by the way. :001_smile: But you always have to take time to have a real conversation with him because he needs time to think. But when he speaks he's usually very much worth listening to!!!

I had a vivid memory of going somewhere with him when he was just able to drive and the car wouldn't start on the way home. He just sat there and thought. He probably had a diagram in the engine flashing through his head and was trying to solve the problem himself. He would have sat there for a long time! Fortunately, he had his sister who thinks more quickly (but not as deeply!) there to suggest that we just call Mom and Dad!

Now that he's older he also thinks he must have a processing issue, too, interesting. He's a really neat person and I'm sure you are too!