Menu

Help me to make my hair silkier

What can I do to make my hair silkier?  Conditioner makes it greasy lately.  I asked about a glaze or gloss treatment but the hairdresser was not recommending them for me.  She said to use a glossing serum.  Can you recommend one that more natural/ has less harmful chemicals?  My hair is thick and curly and frizzy and dull all summer and I straighten it as much as I can.  Humidity is not my friend.  Curly hair does not suit my face.  

Posted (edited)

Your hair sounds exactly like my daughter's. My youngest dd got a keratin treatment last October, and I was B L O W N  A W A Y by what it did for her hair. It was a fabulous black owned salon, and this woman is the first person we have ever been to who knew what to do with her hair. Dd has mixed textured hair--some wavy, some curl, all frizz. Every white stylist she has been to is always like, "You've got curly hair. It's going to be frizzy. It is what it is." The keratin treatment drastically changed the texture of her hair. I was a little freaked out at first because the stylist made her hair board straight! It was amazing though. The she curled it and dd looked like princess Catherine. 🙂 Stylist told us that her waves and curl would come back after a wash. It's not as curly as it was before, but it's so much more manageable. Dd much prefers this to the out of control curls/frizz. She can wash, air dry, and go. And it is smooth and pretty without any effort. 

The stylist used GK brand products on dd. She sent us home with a GK shampoo, an Alfaparf Milano leave in conditioner, and a deep conditioning treatment to "refresh" every 6 weeks or so. The salon keratin treatment was very expensive, but worth every penny. It was an hours long process, so I understand the expense. We were told it would last 6 months, but it has been 7 months--still looks good. 

You can "search" for a GK salon in your area on the website if you think it's something you'd be interested in. I need to do that myself because the salon I took her to is in a Bowie, MD where my oldest dd lives. I need to find someone who can do it where I am in Bham, AL. 

eta: You might get good results just using the GK shampoo and deep conditioning treatment. The treatment requires a heat bonnet. (this is the one dd uses)  Dd is overdue to do that again. I wait for her sister to come home from college to help her do it. lol There is a video on the page I linked that shows how to do it.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, popmom said:

Your hair sounds exactly like my daughter's. My youngest dd got a keratin treatment last October, and I was B L O W N  A W A Y by what it did for her hair. It was a fabulous black owned salon, and this woman is the first person we have ever been to who knew what to do with her hair. Dd has mixed textured hair--some wavy, some curl, all frizz. Every white stylist she has been to is always like, "You've got curly hair. It's going to be frizzy. It is what it is." The keratin treatment drastically changed the texture of her hair. I was a little freaked out at first because the stylist made her hair board straight! It was amazing though. The she curled it and dd looked like princess Catherine. 🙂 Stylist told us that her waves and curl would come back after a wash. It's not as curly as it was before, but it's so much more manageable. Dd much prefers this to the out of control curls/frizz. She can wash, air dry, and go. And it is smooth and pretty without any effort. 

The stylist used GK brand products on dd. She sent us home with a GK shampoo, an Alfaparf Milano leave in conditioner, and a deep conditioning treatment to "refresh" every 6 weeks or so. The salon keratin treatment was very expensive, but worth every penny. It was an hours long process, so I understand the expense. We were told it would last 6 months, but it has been 7 months--still looks good. 

You can "search" for a GK salon in your area on the website if you think it's something you'd be interested in. I need to do that myself because the salon I took her to is in a Bowie, MD where my oldest dd lives. I need to find someone who can do it where I am in Bham, AL. 

eta: You might get good results just using the GK shampoo and deep conditioning treatment. The treatment requires a heat bonnet. (this is the one dd uses)  Dd is overdue to do that again. I wait for her sister to come home from college to help her do it. lol There is a video on the page I linked that shows how to do it.

If it took hours, did she have to sit in the salon the whole time?  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

If it took hours, did she have to sit in the salon the whole time?  

She did. And she's autistic. And neither of us knew ahead of time. I was a bit concerned, but she did great. She had her phone, so she was fine. lol

eta: they aren't working on your hair the whole time. It's just done in stages. So there's some waiting, sitting under warm heat, processing, then styling if that's wanted...

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Get a Brazilian blowout; you can do a milder version that dampens curl/frizzies or a full-on one that completely straightens your hair.  Just understand that a mild version is still going to take a decent amount of curl from your hair, leaving it wavy instead of tight curls.  But it was a game changer for me.  Just be sure the stylist is certified and trained to do it.  

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, popmom said:

Yes, this!  A Brazilian blowout is one type of keratin treatment, and this was the other type.

AS an aside, the TreLuxe products do a nice job controlling frizz on really curly hair.  But I prefer the keratin/Brazilian blowout treatment because I have more wash-and-go options and my hair doesn't look like I stuck it in an electrical outlet anymore.

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Have you tried a leave-in conditioner that you just put on the hair that is not next to your scalp? I've been doing that recently on my wavy grey hair and it's looking better.

Yes, somehow it still makes my hair greasy.  I tried a hair mask before and that worked.  I might try it again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spryte said:

If you’re looking for at home products, I like Olaplex. You can get salon treatments, too, but I use the home versions.

They look good.  Which of their products is used to make hair silky and shiny?