Menu

ST:NG fans . .

gardenmom5

question. Put on your thinking caps.
who is a female character introduced midway through the series (must be AFTER "the best of both worlds"), introduced as if she was supposed to be a "new" recurring role/character, but ended up being written out.

All I can think of is Ro Laren, but wondering if I've missed anyone - as I really didn't watch it all that much in later seasons.

In the arc where Picard gets borg-i-fied, a new female Lt Commander joins the crew (along with an Admiral I think). The plot develops along the lines that she would like Riker's job if Riker should move on to his own Captaincy on another ship. She's independent/pushy, there's conflict, etc. I don't remember what happens to her.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, bolt. said:

In the arc where Picard gets borg-i-fied, a new female Lt Commander joins the crew (along with an Admiral I think). The plot develops along the lines that she would like Riker's job if Riker should move on to his own Captaincy on another ship. She's independent/pushy, there's conflict, etc. I don't remember what happens to her.

Not Shelby (who always came across as temporary.  For her to get Riker's job, would mean JF would have to leave.), and it has to be after BOBW.

Edited by gardenmom5

Dr. Pulaski? 

Dr. Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden) was written out after season 1 (due to head writer at the time disliking her acting), and Dr. Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) took her place for season 2.

Muldaur left after season 2 to pursue other acting endeavors, and McFadden returned as Dr. Crusher for season 3 and for the rest of the seasons, after a fan letter-writing campaign, support from co-star Patrick Stewart, and a personal invitation to return from ST:NG executive producer Rick Berman. 

However, that all occurred BEFORE your requirement of it needing to be a character AFTER the season 3/4 Borg episodes of "Best of Both Worlds"...

ETA -- Other possibilities:
Guinan (various episodes, seasons 2-6) <-- but, started BEFORE your season 3/4 restriction
Keiko O'Brien (various episodes, seasons 4, 5, 6)
Ensign Alyssa Ogawa (3-6 episodes per season, seasons 4, 5, 6, 7)
Lt. Ro Laren (season 5 = 6 episodes; seasons 6 & 7 -- 1 episode each)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Was it in the episode Legacy? Ishara Yar? 

"Commander Riker (Jonathan Frakes) leads an away team to the surface, where they find the colonists initially unperturbed by their presence, but soon end up in a standoff with one of the colony's two remaining warring factions, the Coalition. Their leader, Hayne (Don Mirault), reveals that the other faction, the Alliance, holds the Arcos survivors hostage, and offers the Enterprise the Coalition's support in exchange for Federation weapons, a proposal that Riker rejects. Hayne, however, after learning of Tasha Yar's service aboard the Enterprise, instead offers as a liaison Ishara Yar (Beth Toussaint), saying she is Tasha's sister. Picard accepts Ishara aboard; although the crew is initially skeptical, DNA tests support her claim, and she gradually gains their trust. Commander Data (Brent Spiner), who was especially close to Tasha, becomes friends with Ishara, who seems ready to leave behind her life in the colony." (From Wikipedia)

• Like 1

I should have looked at fan pages/et. al. before.

Here's an entry for Ro Laren.

During the course of planning out the fifth season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the producers were looking to add a recurring character who could conflict with the regular cast at times, as well as a new conn officer to replace Wesley Crusher. With that in mind, the episode "Ensign Ro" was written by Michael Piller, from a story idea created in conjunction with Rick Berman, to specifically introduce the character of Ensign Ro Laren. The episode was designed to show a backstory for the character, who would be at odds with series creator Gene Roddenberry's ideal that Starfleet officers should all work together seamlessly. 

Thank you everyone for your replies.  It was Ensign Ro for whom I was looking.  I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing someone.

• Like 2