Menu

Quick transcript question

My high school senior is making her college plans for the fall and the school wants her current transcript with the final, updated version sent after graduation. What does the “current version” mean and how would I format it? Just grades 9-11? Or should I send something for this year? Oldest DD took a break after high school so I just sent her final transcript. I’m not sure how to do a partial one. 

With my dd I sent a full high school transcript, but all her "current" 12th grade classes were listed as "in progress" with a note saying they'd be completed May 2022. If you split the year into semesters, put her 1st semester grades, and then put 2nd semester grades as IP*  (*in progress). 

ETA This way the colleges can anticipate what her final credits will look like.

Edited by Tiberia
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cintinative said:

The schools want the final transcript already? I thought I would be submitting that in June. Am I missing something?

They want her “current” transcript now, and then they want her final one submitted after graduation. I’m just not sure what they’re used to seeing as “current”. Up through 11th grade? Or the the first semester of 12th? I’ve asked a few people how to do things as a homeschooler but no one seems to know. So we’re just filling everything out the best we can. It’s a community college and I know tons of home schooled kids go there so they must not be too picky about any of it. 

46 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

With my dd I sent a full high school transcript, but all her "current" 12th grade classes were listed as "in progress" with a note saying they'd be completed May 2022. If you split the year into semesters, put her 1st semester grades, and then put 2nd semester grades as IP*  (*in progress). 

ETA This way the colleges can anticipate what her final credits will look like.

Could I do a mix of full year grades for 9-11 and then 1st semester for 12th? I’m just not sure what’s “normal”. 

• Like 2

Transcript templates are not hard to find. There is good info on the pinned threads too. 

Yes, show courses and grades for 9-11 and the first semester of this year. List current semester courses as in-progress if you need to submit now. Then resend with this year’s final grades and cumulative GPA when your academic year is over. 

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Transcript templates are not hard to find. There is good info on the pinned threads too. 

Yes, show courses and grades for 9-11 and the first semester of this year. List current semester courses as in-progress if you need to submit now. Then resend with this year’s final grades and cumulative GPA when your academic year is over. 

Yes, I have a transcript template that I’m using. It doesn’t feel like it should be this hard. I think I’m just feeling out of my depth. I was a homeschooled kid but my parents didn’t make transcripts for us and I didn’t go to college so everything involved with helping my kids go to college feels very foreign to me. I think I‘ll just submit what I have and mark this year’s classes as in progress. If they have more questions I’m sure they’ll ask. 

On 3/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

It’s a community college and I know tons of home schooled kids go there so they must not be too picky about any of it. 

When my kids were doing dual enrollment, the current transcript meant to-date. So IP (in progress) for current term and grades for all completed terms. For example, it would be 9th to 12th Fall semester with completed grades and 12th Spring semester classes listed as IP. 

Also list all AP exams scores as they give credit by exam. The community college my kids went to wanted the official AP score report sent to them but were willing to take the unofficial AP score report to temporarily waive prerequisites. AP Calculus and AP Eng Lang/Lit satisfy prerequisites as well as automatically waive placement tests.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I’m just not sure what they’re used to seeing as “current”. Up through 11th grade? Or the the first semester of 12th?

They are probably looking for her grades for the first semester of the current year.  This is called the midyear report in the Common App.

12 hours ago, EKS said:

They are probably looking for her grades for the first semester of the current year.  This is called the midyear report in the Common App.

What is the Common App? 

I ended up just sending the transcript with all of senior marked “IP”. Oh well, if they want more than that I guess we’ll get another email. 

9 minutes ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

What is the Common App? 

It's a platform that many colleges use for their applications.  It allows students to apply to multiple colleges at once.