Menu

Donating furniture

DawnM

ARGH!

I listed a few items as "free" in our local freebie site and I posted for free on Next Door.

Over 20 "gimme gimmes" and no one bothered to show up!

I am DONE.

It is all going to one location.  I am trying to see if I can find someone to pick it up.   I am looking at a furniture resale store that helps women in domestic V or Habitat.    

Just can't believe the headache and hassle of these people!   I even got sob stories about how their brother AND sister died in the military and they wanted the display table to memorialize them.   When I responded with, I would love for you to have it, I was ghosted.   Guess you didn't care about them THAT much!~  (sarcasm!   Don't come after me. Just frustrated)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

If you don't have a local Habitat for Humanity, you might have a Catholic Charities or local groups that help settle refugees/new immigrants. I personally prefer that items will be given directly to those in need rather than resold, if possible. Bummer the buy nothing attempts didn't work out.

• Like 1

I wish those donation places were still open around here. Sadly they have closed.

A few years ago I was able to donate some furniture to seniors living in independent apartments connected to the assisted living complex. 

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, history-fan said:

wish those donation places were still open around here. Sadly they have closed.

Sometimes places in nearby cities will come pick up, fwiw. Might be worth a phone call to see, though I’m sure there are plenty of places that are too remote for pickup.

E.g.: Our small town ReStore closed, but there’s one in another town about 15 miles away. But, the one 15 miles west of us still picks up stuff around 20 miles east of us. So it’s not immediately obvious they’d be helpful there, but they are.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1

Donate. Don’t mess with coordinating freecycle or whatever. Seriously. That’s a huge headache, they may or may not show and your frustration isn’t worth the time spent. Call Habitat or whoever will come pick it up, donate, and take the receipt or not.

• Like 1

I did the refugee support thing when we were moving and donated a whole house of furniture. The guy who came to pick it up was very pleased at the condition of what I donated. He said that usually what they get is maybe one step above going to the dumpster. He came back three different times and filled his large van each trip, and said the stuff would be divided up to help several families.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, City Mouse said:

I did the refugee support thing when we were moving and donated a whole house of furniture. The guy who came to pick it up was very pleased at the condition of what I donated. He said that usually what they get is maybe one step above going to the dumpster. He came back three different times and filled his large van each trip, and said the stuff would be divided up to help several families.

I have done that, but we had to take it to them and it was not close!   Unless they pick up, we simply can't do that again.