Menu

Question for people from North Carolina

Amira

I'm working on a paper where I'm writing quite a bit about Rowan, Randolph, Cabarrus, Iredell, Davie, Davidson, Catawba, and Mecklenburg counties.  Would you consider those counties (as a group) to be in central North Carolina?  Western North Carolina?  Something else?  I'd like to refer to them accurately according to local usage.

2 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

Yes, central by location. But I would refer to that area as "the Piedmont".

Yeah, that's how I'd really like to refer to them.  Maybe I can find a map of the state that labels that area the Piedmont and find a different map that focuses on the Piedmont to show the specific counties and cities I'm talking about.  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amira said:

It's about slavery in that part of North Carolina in the 1800s.

I would love to read it!   

My mother is from South Carolina and was born and raised there.   Her grandfather had slaves and then sharecroppers.   It is crazy to think about.

• Like 1

Me too please!  I grew up (not born) in Stokes county and at the time we moved there there was one main clan group of Black people in the country - the Hairstons. We were the first (?) non-Hairston Black family to move to King and people of both colors were confused.