Menu

Is there dust-free cat litter?

Kanin

All of the cat litters at the grocery store claim to be 99.9% dust free. Uh, no. If it's so dust-free, why am I enveloped in a cloud of litter dust every time I pour it out?

Does anyone have recs for really good, little-dust-as-possible litter?

We've been using crushed walnut shells, which have proven dustless and remarkably absorbent. I can't pretend to understand how it works, but it's been a winner so far for the kitties and us.

We've also been testing Boxi. It's pretty dust free; one kind they sell is clay based and the other isn't and looks like chia seeds lol. Our cats aren't picky and will use anything--we've recently tried paper pellets which were dust free but we humans couldn't figure them out (the kitties were fine with them). They might be better used with like a Japanese type litter system, idk. Maybe the confusion is just us.

We had previously used Worlds Best, but a third cat rendered it *much* less effective and it was never as dust free as I'd prefer. Given our recent experimentation, I'm most likely to suggest the walnut shells for truly dustless and also weirdly absorbant (we get it at PetSmart, I haven't checked Chewy but they have a good selection too)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

We've been using crushed walnut shells, which have proven dustless and remarkably absorbent. I can't pretend to understand how it works, but it's been a winner so far for the kitties and us.

That's interesting! I've never heard of walnut shell litter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vasha said:

I'm a fan of this brand

image.png.8cc6afb07bad05f6893ec16229c019fe.png

Ditto this. No dust no tracking. We loved Pretty Litter. But it was very dusty. We tried the versions with larger crystals like dmmetler suggested —I liked it, but Dh thinks it doesn’t work as well. Honestly, I think he just doesn’t like the fact that it doesn’t clump. 

So we are currently using this Arm and Hammer. Ours specifically says “cloud control” lol. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1