Menu

snake content - enter at your own risk

This was at my parents' house yesterday - one of the biggest carpet pythons I've seen in recent years.

I felt sorry for the poor thing, having it relocated, but my parents keep all their doors and windows open, and it was right near their verandah.

Very cool in a tree, but probably not so cool curled up in their house somewhere 🐍

IMG_20240103_124021211.jpg

• Like 17

Beautiful Morelia :). Guessing she's doing a good job of pest control (females tend to be larger than males). 

I can't blame anyone for not wanting one in your house-they tend to be a little more likely to bite first and ask questions later than most of the other python species (that tends to be the case for Australian non-venomous-the venomous are often pretty chill, but even a chill elapsid is best left to be admired from a LONG way away!) , and even a non-venomous snakebite from a snake that size hurts. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dmmetler said:

Beautiful Morelia :). Guessing she's doing a good job of pest control (females tend to be larger than males). 

I can't blame anyone for not wanting one in your house-they tend to be a little more likely to bite first and ask questions later than most of the other python species (that tends to be the case for Australian non-venomous-the venomous are often pretty chill, but even a chill elapsid is best left to be admired from a LONG way away!) , and even a non-venomous snakebite from a snake that size hurts. 

We have a big one living in our ceiling at the moment, and we're happy for it to be there. It keeps the rats away.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We have a big one living in our ceiling at the moment, and we're happy for it to be there. It keeps the rats away.

Definitely.  

I love the patterns on carpet and diamond pythons (which are really closely related)-they're such pretty snakes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

AHhhhhh. How do your parents sleep with their windows open and not have that inside all the time?

I don't think they've ever had one actually inside their house before, amazingly. We've only had a snake inside our home twice ever. 

We're all very alert to them, and I realised this one was there yesterday by the crows going crazy around that tree. I knew there would be snake. I think I've said in other threads that crows here are like bodyguards for your yard.

My parents have a local snake guy who comes within 10 mins and relocates it. 

My parents had one curled up in their car boot once. We don't know how it got there, but it looked pretty cosy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We had a black rat snake living in our old frame house once upon a time. Given the mouse population before the snake moved in, we were happy to have him as a guest. All we ever saw was a skin he shed, but suddenly there were no more mice. 

• Like 4