Menu

Crafters & Makers - Event Ideas Needed

TechWife

I want to plan a neighborhood wide “scrap exchange” where everyone would bring supplies they don’t want or need anymore for others to enjoy. It would be a “bring what you can, take what you need/want” exchange, not a sale.

Anything left would be donated to a senior center or an art supply exchange in a nearby city.

I had an idea to also do a valentine card “make & take” to draw people in. Maybe a few samples - some for kids, some for adults. I can precut some hearts & other stuff with my Cricut. They could be flat cards, not folded, so less paper would be used. If I need to buy anything, I think the activity committee would pitch in. 

How can I organize this so it isn’t chaotic? Make “departments” on tables? I can do it in our neighborhood clubhouse which has about 20 folding tables available IIRC. There are about 150 houses and 50 townhomes. Most events have 50-75 people participate. 

What are your thoughts on allowing people to sell more expensive items? I don’t think I want businesses to sell - I really want it to be a fun neighbor-helping-neighbor gathering.

What other ideas do you have for me?

• Like 1

I would do it like an assembly line with one or two steps accomplished at each table, a set of directions at each end, the supplies for those steps on each table but not a bunch of other stuff so people do not get bogged down doing too many things at each station, and have a card at each table at that particular stage of construction, with the final table being the last thing and a finished product on display. This way it will be 100% self explanatory. I would have 3 chairs at each table in case someone needs to sit to do the work, but not more than that because it gets crowded, unless do chairs on both sides of the table.

I might advise folks to bring their own paper cutting scissors and ask for donations towards the scrap booking double sided tape because that has gotten expensive, and chances are they will go through a lot of it if it is an extensively decorated card.

I would not allow the selling. I would just have people bring what they are willing to share so it remains a fully inclusive, happy event. Once money gets involved, it gets weird. People wanting something elaborate and time consuming for not much money, people making negative comments about someone else's hard work, asking for "do you have it in a different color or theme", etc. It will be more fun if it is just a community sharing event.

• Like 2

Make sure you're specific about what types of scrap materials you want. Is it just for arts and crafts, or are you going to include things like building or woodworking supplies? If I saw an advertisement for a "scrap exchange" (without other details/context) I'm not sure I'd know what you meant. 

Definitely do the "departments" on different tables. It will look better and be much easier for people to find what they're looking for. Beading/jewelry supplies, yarn, fabric, paints, wood scraps, etc. 

I love this idea! Good for the neighborhood, good for the earth.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the make it and take it Valentines. I would figure I had enough to do with the exchange, and if I were coming, I'd be interested in the supplies rather than making something right then.

26 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Make sure you're specific about what types of scrap materials you want. Is it just for arts and crafts, or are you going to include things like building or woodworking supplies? If I saw an advertisement for a "scrap exchange" (without other details/context) I'm not sure I'd know what you meant. 

Definitely do the "departments" on different tables. It will look better and be much easier for people to find what they're looking for. Beading/jewelry supplies, yarn, fabric, paints, wood scraps, etc. 

I love this idea! Good for the neighborhood, good for the earth.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the make it and take it Valentines. I would figure I had enough to do with the exchange, and if I were coming, I'd be interested in the supplies rather than making something right then.

I agree, though I do like the card idea too. I would dedicate maybe two tables to making a card and expect that some people might take pieces and opt to finish it at home. Just have pics of the steps posted if it’s not obvious.

Are you planning a short event or something all day? If it’s going to be over several hours, I would let people who are donating supplies “shop” before opening to the whole neighborhood. Then I’d open it up to the neighborhood (and maybe beyond depending on your community and logistics). Our old church used to fill up the gym with donations of all kinds for a week, and you could drop off or shop all week if you were and attended. Then they opened it to the public (well advertised), and it went like hotcakes then.

I really like this idea!

• Like 1

I think I would call it a stash exchange, or “stash & scrap” exchange.  I think that would catch crafters’ attention and communicate that you want good quality supplies that people aren’t using, not just junk.  

If your target audience is people who already craft I don’t think gluing together a card is going to be much of a draw.  A display of crafts that various people in the neighborhood do might be.  A supervised kid’s craft table so that parents can browse would be good.  

• Like 1

Definitely don't allow selling. If there's a great desire for this then maybe think about doing it as a separate event. Honestly though selling events are a huge hassle to organize, feelings hurt everywhere. You've got the MLM's upset that they can't sell, the homemade crowd unhappy that commercial stuff is being sold next to their stuff, people with high-end stuff disappointed at not having any takers... All of them with valid complaints, so unless you know exactly the type of vendors you want and be really strict and clear about it (to both consumer and seller) it's best to stay away.

• Like 3