Menu

Rhetoric Courses

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I've no idea about any of those, but I'm sending my daughter off to try out her local Toastmasters club this year.

Don't you need to be 18 or older?

Edited by Malam

Toastmasters have to be 18+. However, many (perhaps most) Toastmasters groups allow under-18s* to be guests and potentially also to join as "gavellers". They have fewer rights with their membership than Toastmasters (i.e. regular members) do, but they are allowed to attend and speak (within certain rules that may vary by group). The best way is to go as a guest and talk to the membership secretary about your situation.

If you see a "Gavel Club" in your research, this is a Toastmasters group specifically aimed at particular gavellers (for example, a group of Girl Guide teenagers with perhaps a facilitating adult or two could form a Gavel Club).

* - A few Toastmasters groups are effectively 18+, be that due to the group being aimed at advanced Toastmasters (gavellers are not allowed to do advanced courses, but can do the youth programs) or due to being scheduled at times when the members expect children to be in school (in the latter case, a homeschooler would have a strong case to have an exception made for their child).

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia

Following...

If the OP doesn't mind, I would be interested in hearing more about pp's experience with Lukeion's rhetoric courses.

What did you appreciate about this course? What age group would you say it is particularly suited for? How did your dc find the homework load and amount of time involved? Any negatives one should be aware of?

Thank you!

My daughter is taking Rhetoric with TWTM academy, and the class has been wonderful.  She absolutely LOVES her teacher---and she has really blossomed with her writing.     I don't feel that the class is overly rigorous.  Just right IMHO.

Edited by TheAttachedMama

On 1/12/2024 at 5:59 AM, A.M. said:

Following...

If the OP doesn't mind, I would be interested in hearing more about pp's experience with Lukeion's rhetoric courses.

What did you appreciate about this course? What age group would you say it is particularly suited for? How did your dc find the homework load and amount of time involved? Any negatives one should be aware of?

Thank you!

I signed a 7th grader, he is a good writer, loved the class tremendously, and the teachers feedback is always deep and one of the best I have seen. I pulled him out of the class, I think the rhetoric book is more inclined to the high schoolers. My 9th grader will do it next year, and the younger son was switched to scribble on and scribble creative classes. I would compare lukeion with AoPS approach, rigour, depth of knowledge and strictness. Kids did philosophy history writing and all grammar and Latin. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 7:19 PM, Likaly said:

I signed a 7th grader, he is a good writer, loved the class tremendously, and the teachers feedback is always deep and one of the best I have seen. I pulled him out of the class, I think the rhetoric book is more inclined to the high schoolers. My 9th grader will do it next year, and the younger son was switched to scribble on and scribble creative classes. I would compare lukeion with AoPS approach, rigour, depth of knowledge and strictness. Kids did philosophy history writing and all grammar and Latin. 

Can you tell me your thoughts about Lukeion's Skillfull Scribbler class? I have a 13yo son who I am thinking of signing up for the course, but I haven't been able to find any reviews. Could you tell me the kind of workload to expect and if you thought there was enough instruction since they only meet 1x/a week? Thank you!

17 hours ago, hodlB said:

Can you tell me your thoughts about Lukeion's Skillfull Scribbler class? I have a 13yo son who I am thinking of signing up for the course, but I haven't been able to find any reviews. Could you tell me the kind of workload to expect and if you thought there was enough instruction since they only meet 1x/a week? Thank you!

I loved all the scribble classes, they did the first one in the fall, and now the scribble on, which is academic writing, and creative scribble. I do not know about you, but I choose the classes which are not blah blah, which should be rigorous and with pretty much workload. They are completely different, and help him grow fast in writing. The feedback is detailed and to the point. The kids are amazing and are very involved in discussions. The creative includes a reading each week, discussions, and a writing piece. In scribble on it’s a paper with outline and thesis statement. The teacher pays attention to everything and kids work hard to earn the grades. By the way, my son said that their grammar classes were the best help in passing sat. He did barbarian and witty wordsmith. Amazing classes. I am so grateful to the teachers working there!!! 

3 hours ago, Likaly said:

I loved all the scribble classes, they did the first one in the fall, and now the scribble on, which is academic writing, and creative scribble. I do not know about you, but I choose the classes which are not blah blah, which should be rigorous and with pretty much workload. They are completely different, and help him grow fast in writing. The feedback is detailed and to the point. The kids are amazing and are very involved in discussions. The creative includes a reading each week, discussions, and a writing piece. In scribble on it’s a paper with outline and thesis statement. The teacher pays attention to everything and kids work hard to earn the grades. By the way, my son said that their grammar classes were the best help in passing sat. He did barbarian and witty wordsmith. Amazing classes. I am so grateful to the teachers working there!!! 

How much time outside of class was spent doing homework for Skillfull Scribbler, Wordsmith, and Grammar? I would love to put my son in all three classes, but he is not an academically driven kid, so I wonder if it would be too much.