Menu

Minor vent about email marketing (JAWM)

Hyacinth

You know how if you buy something online you have to check or uncheck that little box to give the company permission to email you their marketing offers? And you know how sometimes you’re like DANG, I didn’t mean to do that! because you most certainly do not want their emails. But it’s too late because your inbox is ALREADY filling up: Welcome emails. Tip of the day emails. Urgent you-won’t-want-to-miss-this-special emails. So you scroll to the bottom of one of them and find the teeny tiny unsubscribe button and click.

I just did this for a very well-known company and, upon unsubscribing, I got a message that says I will stop receiving emails in 7-10 days.

Here’s the venty part: You have the technology to start sending me stuff immediately, but golly-gee-willikers you just can’t figure out how to grant this request and STOP sending emails until next week? 

(I know how marketing works. I get why they do it. The point of this post is to complain about it. That’s all.)

• Like 23

My added gripe is that the same company can send emails from several different sources. 

So, I can opt out of general marketing emails, but that doesn’t take me off the last minute special blitz email list, or the holiday deals list, or the tips on how to use whatever I bought email list. Turns out those require separate unsubscribe requests. Bah humbug. 

• Like 2

I do get annoyed by email spam.  But it's better than junk snail mail, or text or phone spam.  🙂

If it's a company you never want to receive marketing from again, you can block it on your end if unsubscribing their way doesn't work.  I guess that would be specific to your browser or email provider, but it should be reasonably easy.