Menu

Math help

My daughter is doing Algebra 1 with a homeschool co-op of sorts as a sophomore.  I am basically her tutor due to her needing hours of support each week.  She has completely struggled with math her whole life and this year is no exception.  She completely forgets everything she learned the previous chapter and as a result, fails her tests.  Her recent test was a 19%.  She may squeak by this semester with a C-, but I don't see her passing next semester since she did get a C- and B on early tests that were reviews of pre-algebra (that she took for two years) and that is the main reason she may squeak by.  

My question is this.  I am thinking of just teaching her something at home.  I don't really see Algebra 1 as being useful for her life.  To get her to understand Algebra, I see it realistically taking at least another year, possibly more.  It's not enough for college I know.  There is no way I can get her through Algebra 2 by her senior year based on what I am seeing now.  So, what do I do with her for math?  My state has no real requirements.  I want to make math super practical for her life and Algebra is not super practical for her.  

Beth

She was somewhat successful at them.  I tried to get ahead of Algebra issues I saw her having by doing a couple of books last summer.  I'm just not seeing Algebra being useful at all.  Why spend the next two years trying to get her to understand Algebra?

I think that your idea is a good one.  I'd work on the following:

• The arithmetic that adults need to function (estimation, tip calculation, recipe math, unit conversion, how much paint goes on a wall, etc)
  • How interest works--loans, investments, etc
  • How taxes work, how to fill out a return, how to pay estimated taxes, etc
  • Budgeting
  • Some basic statistics--this is needed to understand the results of medical studies, for example

That's all I can think of for now.  There may be special education resources for this sort of thing that might be useful.

• Like 1

Part of the problem is that per standardized test scores, her math intellect is most likely working at a 6th grade math level.  The rest of her scores that don't deal with problem solving skills are at college level.  This is screaming math disability to me, and I am trying to get some testing done but it's going to be at least a couple of months for that yet.  When she was tested 3 years ago, she didn't test learning disability.

3 minutes ago, bethben said:

Part of the problem is that per standardized test scores, her math intellect is most likely working at a 6th grade math level.

Are you basing this on the reported grade equivalent scores?  What test is this?

The reason I ask is that the majority of adults max out at a sixth grade math level.  

16 minutes ago, EKS said:

Are you basing this on the reported grade equivalent scores?  What test is this?

The reason I ask is that the majority of adults max out at a sixth grade math level.  

Iowa Basics

If I can get her comfortable with just making change at a grocery store for example, she could move up the ladder so to speak and at least be comfortable with different retail jobs in the near future.  My husband will give her very simple mental math problems and she can't do those too well either.  

2 hours ago, bethben said:

If I can get her comfortable with just making change at a grocery store for example, she could move up the ladder so to speak and at least be comfortable with different retail jobs in the near future.

Does she know how to count up?  That said, I think that all of the registers these days tell you what change to give (that and does anyone use cash anymore?).

2 hours ago, bethben said:

Iowa Basics

So it sounds like this is a grade equivalent score.  That means that her level of mastery is below sixth grade.  But I'm guessing that you knew that already.

It sounds like maybe the abstract part of math is what eludes her. It's hard to remember something when you're not sure exactly how it's working - there's nothing to hang a peg on or have the ability to reason it out. I think I would honestly go through something that just lets her go through math more multisensory and not care if it's where she should be or not. I will agree with you that parts of algebra don't seem relevant, but really all algebra is doing is taking the K-6th concrete applications and proving that the principles work no matter the number or base - that this can always be worked out.  If she ends up taking something like a math survey course in college they're going to assume a student can work with this concept.  So I'd just go back to concrete math - over and over again and slowly bring in the abstract part.  Things like ST Math, DragonBox online, or Mortensen, Hands On Equations, Key To..offline.  Just slow and steady and making sure she always has something to rely on physically or visually when she's working with these concepts.

Some suggestions:

https://www.denisonalgebra.com/pre-algebra-course-page

https://www.denisonalgebra.com/algebra-1-course-page

https://www.denisonalgebra.com/course-placement

https://www.smilabs.org/products/csmcourse - this is a great real world / life skills math course with no algebra required. It seems like it might be just what you're looking for. It's only 40 dollars too!

Edited by Malam

If she's open to and able to learn online, there are a bunch of courses on OpenLearn that start with the absolute basics (Succeed with Maths: part 1 is the most basic, and Everyday Maths: part 1 goes over much of the same content) and go all the way through to algebra, via a number of courses on specific pre-algebra topics (ignore anything not labelled as Level 1). Check that your daughter can work with manipulatives first, as HomeAgain suggests, and remember it's OK to use those manipulatives alongside such courses.