Menu

need a new board/card/dice game.....

ProudGrandma

Seconding Azul!  My husband and kids, even the teens, love it!

Other favorites with various people at my house (usually me, DD21, DS15, DS12, and DS10): Flamecraft (cute dragons, funny puns, fun but not excessively hard), Ticket to Ride (New York is quicker, Japan is interesting, etc.), Sheriff of Nottingham (I don't love this one but my kids think it's fantastic and funny), Castles of Mad King Ludwig (12yo and I like this one a ton). Oh, I forgot Leaf -- it's newer but also beautiful.

My art-loving 10 and 12 yos like Musee and Antiquity Quest.

Exploding Kittens and Seven Dragons are both ones my kids request a lot.  They also like Sushi Go, Ramen Fury, and Just Desserts.

Other fun games: Pyramix, Calico (this is cuddly cats and pretty colors, but my 10yo son likes it), Hues and Cues, Dragonrealm, Qwix, LineUp, Onitama (only two players though), and Rock, Paper, Switch.

A fandom-based Clue or Flux could be fun too if they have a shared fandom.

• Like 1

This past weekend I learned the card game Scout and thought it was great.  It was really simple to learn, and great for multiple ages. It's a little on the pricey side for a card game, but it has high replayability.  

https://www.amazon.com/Oink-Games-Scout/dp/B09Q99T87T/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2CHOA95PAGCB2&keywords=scout+card+game&qid=1701183804&sprefix=Scout+card%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-5

• Like 1

1. What is your price range?

2. How long of a game do they like to play?
(takes 30-45 minutes? 1 hour? 90 min.? 2 hours?)

3. And how many players?
(you mentioned "kids", so I am guessing at least for 4 players, but if it is a family of 5, 6, or 7 that changes recommendations because different games have of maximum)

How many kids?  HOw long to play?  Great questions.  I am actually buying for 2 different families.  Both families have a 4th grader and then older kids.  One family has 2 younger kids and one in college.....so 4 most of the time, but then 5 when the college girl is home (or more if they have friends over) and the other family has 4 kids at home full time (starting with a 4th grader), but then when their college/older kids come home and play, they have 5 more....plus the parents. 

length of game....30 minutes...maybe longer depending on the game, I suppose...