Menu

Opening an Etsy shop

City Mouse

In trying to figure out what to do with all of my mom’s collections (hoard), I am starting to think about selling, or trying to sell, on Etsy. Does anyone have any experience to share? I just don’t know if it is worth the effort, but there are boxes and boxes of vintage sewing patterns, craft kits, salt shakers, decorative figurines. Most of her stuff fits in the Etsy categories of either craft supplies or vintage. It seems like it might be safer than selling on Facebook marketplace but I might try that too.

Do you have any of the antique malls in your area that rent booths? The style where there is one employee who runs the register and the person who has the booth doesn't have to be there? 

There is some cost to the space and a percentage paid to the employee....but I wonder if it would be less effort and a way to clear items just the same? The patterns maybe more of a niche item, but salt shakers and other tchotchkes seem to be a common item in those types of stores.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I sell vintage items at a local market and on Etsy. It is interesting, to me, the things that sell better at one or the other. Example: I cannot give away vintage cookbooks at the antique market, while they are always one of my best sellers on Etsy. I love doing this, though it is not a huge money maker. It is fun (to me) and I love finding new homes for items and keeping said items out of the landfill. You have to be 100% honest about the quality of the items you are selling, esp if there is any old house smells, mold or mothballs smells. Some items I lump together, like x number of vintage sewing patterns in same size and same era. I have a dear friend that also sells vintage. She researches value of everything! I don’t, because you have to price to sell and move quantity. That doesn’t mean I lowball all prices, but after a while you can gauge demand and typical pricing. 

• Like 1

I don't have any tips on where to sell it, but I wonder if Etsy is a good place to start.  My dd has an Etsy shop...  She also sells at local stores and has been in business for a number of years.  She has a strong following on Etsy.  But according to her, Etsy has changed a lot.  It's now become almost like an Amazon third-party site.  Sellers can become almost invisible now under all the layers ~ it's really hard for a seller to get their products to even show up in a search.

You can always give it a try, but I'd be looking for other options too.

• Like 1