Menu

Singapore 2022 questions

MeaganS

My dd7 has been doing beast academy and while we love it, she would do better with a format that required a set amount of work a day. She struggles with the open nature of beast academy. 

My question is about the new version of Singapore. Mostly which books we should get. She's very quick at understanding math, so I don't think she needs lots of extra practice and we plan to continue doing BA online as a supplement. Deeper is better. Is one of the workbooks like the old challenging problems books? 

I've only used Level K.  I would suggest the Student Workbooks A and B, and maybe the Mastery and Beyond if you want more.  You can always get the Challenging Word Problems workbooks, but with using BA, I would try to keep the other very simple.  I liked not juggling lots of books!  

The teacher guide includes access to an online portal, which provides “extension” pages associated with each lesson. My 8 year old is in 3A, and usually the extension pages are a double sides page with 2-3 problems. We have enjoyed them. Mastery and Beyond is more like consolidated practice associated with the end of one subtopic; my daughter occassionally  complains about these, but I think the extra practice is beneficial for her to make it stick. Don’t bother with the Additional practice book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm fairly sure the older editions (US/standards/common core) were more ambitious in their curricula than the revised 2022 edition. I also think the standards edition is close enough to both the challenging word problems (for the common core edition) and the intensive practice (for the US edition) to use both, but that's just hearsay on my part. Unlike the US edition, the standards edition is also the first to have the home instructor's guide

Edited by Malam

40 minutes ago, Malam said:

Unlike the US edition, the standards edition is also the first to have the home instructor's guide

We use the 3rd and US editions, with the home instructor's guides created for them by Jennifer Hoerst.  These include scripts for explaining concepts "the Singapore way" and games designed for 2 players.

It seems to me that as the later editions have come out, they've added more and more topics in so that you end up with not so much Singapore math as "US math plus bar models".  I like that the 3rd and US models are no frills and very easy to complete in a school year.  There are cumulative reviews built in along the way, but not the chapter tests and extra content that makes the more recent versions unwieldy.  No experience with the 2022 specifically, though.

• Like 1

If it’s Dimensions Math, we used the upper levels before the lower grades came out. The workbooks for 7 and 8 are similar to the Intensive Practice books that go with the US Edition. They have more advanced/integrated problems than the textbook, including word problems that get quite challenging.

I’m not sure if the lower grade levels do the same or not.

9 hours ago, Malam said:

What's the 3rd edition?

It was the edition before US.  Mine shows a copyright date of 1981.  The covers are the same as the US except without "US edition" in the top right corner, and the workbooks are split into part 1 and part 2 (so four books for the year).  It has the same content as the US edition, but the original Singapore context (names, foods, coins) is still there.  In the US edition, Mrs Brown might be making 600 hotdogs for a party, but in 3rd it was Mrs Wong and she was making 600 chicken satay sticks.  All measurements are metric - US edition adds extra questions using US measures.

Edit to add: the 3rd edition is now out of print, the US line is still a current publication.

Edited by caffeineandbooks

I used the US edition of Singapore Math, and we counted satay sticks, weighed boxes of mangoes, papayas and durians, and measured how far to travel to get to Sentosa Island.  I didn't use the original edition, but I guessed the difference was the inclusion of US measurements, in addition to metric.  

• Like 1