Menu

Alexa, Echo, or something else?

Tree Frog

I teach in a classroom with multiple grades and schedules. I'm having a hard time making sure all the times for the changing daily schedules are met. I use an alarm on my phone to remind me when someone needs to leave the room, but I'm struggling with my in-room schedules and am considering getting something like an Alexa do I can ask to schedule times for subject changes or bathroom breaks. I also need something my IA or a sub can use when I'm out of the class.

Does an Alexa require Wi-Fi or another device to work? Are there any other devices that work independently or a device? We have Wi-Fi at the school, but none of the school devices have wireless capabilities and it can't be connected to my personal device.

I have students who have these devices at home and would likely try to use them in class. Is there a way to not allow certain voices to make requests of the device? 

I'm all ears for any suggestions! I'll check back this afternoon to see if anyone has any ideas or to address questions.

Thank you! 

I've visited a couple families this year with alexa.  It requires wifi, doesn't have to hook up to anything.
(one of the family's has their wifi router on a battery back up for power outages. . . . I think that's an excellent idea.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have no answers but work in special education with young adults 18-26 and I set a million alarms on my phone each day

I currently have about 10 alarms on my phone to get through the day. I have 2 concerns about just using my phone. First is that I'm adding another grade, so will have 5-6 more alarms. Second, what happens when I'm not there? My IA, as wonderful as she is, struggles with technology. I don't think she would hear or recognize the different alarms. Tbh, sometimes I don't hear or respond to them either. That's why I'd really like something I could set up and leave. 

8 hours ago, TechWife said:

No suggestions here, either. Check institution rules, though. Alexa, etc. are passive recorders & might not be permitted with children. 

I hadn't considered that. I've heard other teachers talk about using it. I'll check with admin tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, carriede said:

Here's idea, cheap phone or tablet, paired with a Bluetooth speaker if needed to be heard by the entire class.

I have an old phone I could use and have a Bluetooth speaker in the classroom already. I was hoping it could be a stand alone, not connected to my Wi-Fi account. Sounds like I'm outta luck, though. 

15 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

I have an old phone I could use and have a Bluetooth speaker in the classroom already. I was hoping it could be a stand alone, not connected to my Wi-Fi account. Sounds like I'm outta luck, though. 

You don't need wifi for Bluetooth. They just have to be physically close to each other.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, Tree Frog said:

I currently have about 10 alarms on my phone to get through the day. I have 2 concerns about just using my phone. First is that I'm adding another grade, so will have 5-6 more alarms. Second, what happens when I'm not there? My IA, as wonderful as she is, struggles with technology. I don't think she would hear or recognize the different alarms. Tbh, sometimes I don't hear or respond to them either. That's why I'd really like something I could set up and leave. 

Can you hook up an iPad or old phone to a speaker?  This way you could set recurring alarms, change when you need to, and leave the whole thing in the classroom. Bluetooth doesn’t use wifi but things get kicked off Bluetooth constantly. I’d do an old phone on a charging stand and an aux cord to a speaker. 

Edited by KungFuPanda