Menu

Soon to be 5 year old asking for Grammar

Brooke

My son will be 5 in January and he’s very much an eager learner and possibly gifted so I’m not sure yet. He was watching a video book on punctuation and now he just wants to know all about punctuation. He’s the child that loves to just know why. We are about to finish AAR level 1 in the next few months. I know we usually don’t introduce any type of grammar until about 1st grade. Would first language lessons be ok for such a young child? I’m asking because he keeps bringing it up. If not are there any recommendations? 

Hi,

I used FLL when my children were 5.  It's very gentle.  We did it orally.  We skipped some pages that I felt were redundant because my kids are gifted as well.

Michael Clay Thompson has a series.  I loved the grammar series.  It's also beautifully done.

The Language Mechanics from the Critical Thinking Company (grades 4 - 7) provides one with a reason why something is done.  I thought that was neat.  I always misplaced the book, so none of my kids ever completed it. 

My youngest liked Grammar Land at that age.  It's a really old storybook where the parts of speech are on trial for stealing from each other.  We broke it into smaller parts and did little activities with it.

Michael Clay Thompson is nice, too, and so are the Ruth Heller books.  Your library probably has a few of the Heller books if you wanted to take a look through them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

Hi,

I used FLL when my children were 5.  It's very gentle.  We did it orally.  We skipped some pages that I felt were redundant because my kids are gifted as well.

Michael Clay Thompson has a series.  I loved the grammar series.  It's also beautifully done.

The Language Mechanics from the Critical Thinking Company (grades 4 - 7) provides one with a reason why something is done.  I thought that was neat.  I always misplaced the book, so none of my kids ever completed it. 

Thank you! Good to know it’s gentle. Worst case of he’s not ready we can hold off until the next year.

20 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

My youngest liked Grammar Land at that age.  It's a really old storybook where the parts of speech are on trial for stealing from each other.  We broke it into smaller parts and did little activities with it.

Michael Clay Thompson is nice, too, and so are the Ruth Heller books.  Your library probably has a few of the Heller books if you wanted to take a look through them.

Thanks! I’m going to look up that book. He loves stuff like that.

1 hour ago, SilverMoon said:

FLL 1 would work fine for that age, but Daily Language Review 1 from Evan Moor sounds more like what the kid is after. It's a workbook with five daily exercises on a variety of topics. Very gentle. 

Great! I’ve heard a lot about Evan Moor but never have looked into it really but now I will. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Brooke said:

Great! I’ve heard a lot about Evan Moor but never have looked into it really but now I will. Thank you!

I'd avoid their US history. Otherwise we've done well with them. My 13yo is using Daily Language Review and a couple writing books this year. 

• Like 1

I actually use KISS Grammar for my kids (but instead of using his examples I just pick sentences out of what we are reading or their own sentences that I write for them). However it seems the website (which was always confusing anyway) is now completely broken. https://www.kissgrammar.org/

Read the Improving Our Educational System: An Insider’s View. I really like his methodology, I wish that he could somehow make it more doable and easy to implement. I think I've read all the essays that make up this document, but I haven't dug into this particular document to tell you how to navigate it. 

However I'm kind of in the same boat where my youngest is wanting to learn all about writing even though she's "too young" to be doing this stuff seriously. 

11 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I actually use KISS Grammar for my kids (but instead of using his examples I just pick sentences out of what we are reading or their own sentences that I write for them). However it seems the website (which was always confusing anyway) is now completely broken. https://www.kissgrammar.org/

Read the Improving Our Educational System: An Insider’s View. I really like his methodology, I wish that he could somehow make it more doable and easy to implement. I think I've read all the essays that make up this document, but I haven't dug into this particular document to tell you how to navigate it. 

However I'm kind of in the same boat where my youngest is wanting to learn all about writing even though she's "too young" to be doing this stuff seriously. 

This is very intriguing. I did try to navigate the website but like you said it’s very difficult figure out. What a bummer. My son seems to believe he should be an expert almost immediately haha! He thinks way into the future instead of the present and that’s a bit hard to explain to a 5 year old. He’s telling me when he’s a teenager like his brother he’s going to write lots and lots of words! 

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, HomeAgain said:

I haven’t heard of Ruth Heller yet. I went ahead and checked out her book on nouns to see if he likes it. Thank you!

On 10/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, HomeAgain said:

We just started the Grammar Land today! I personally would have loved this book as a kid. Even my 16 year old was invested. I think this is perfect for us so thank you!

• Like 1

There is an adorable book series called "Grammar is CATegorical" that my PG grammar loving kid adored. Also the picture book versipm of "Eats Shoots and Leaves". 

My kid loved editing, and Scholastic's "Grammar Cop", where you edit writing related to fairy tales was a hit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...