Menu

Italy--Cinque Terre, Turin, norther Italy in April

Ottakee

A friend and I are planning on visiting Turin in early April next year.  I have a friend that lives there so we will have free housing and someone that speaks the language that can adventure with us at least part of the time.

We will have 6-7 days in Italy.  We are not into museums or fancy tourist traps.   We like hiking, the local markets, lakes/rivers/water of almost any kind, and local hole in the wall type favorites for eating.  We will not have fancy clothes or want fancy stuff.  We are the people who go to a remote island and hike for 5 days wearing the same clothes the entire time, eating dehydrated food and trail mix.

Cinque Terre looks interesting.  Has anyone been there?   Looks like we could take a train from Turin very reasonable and get to experience the train as well.

Any other ideas of places to seek out in northern Italy or nearby across the borders?

• Like 4

We went to Cinque Terre and Turin one year. 

I loved loved loved Cinque Terre. I didn't especially love Turin. My dad recently went backpacking in the Dolomites and said it was amazing. 

We also went to Florence, but I think I loved it because I had a bit of a Michelangelo and Duomo obsession.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

We went to Cinque Terre and Turin one year. 

I loved loved loved Cinque Terre. I didn't especially love Turin. My dad recently went backpacking in the Dolomites and said it was amazing. 

We also went to Florence, but I think I loved it because I had a bit of a Michelangelo and Duomo obsession.

How did you get from one to the other?

The main goal of this trip is to visit my friend....so Turin area is where we will be. 🙂  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

How did you get from one to the other?

The main goal of this trip is to visit my friend....so Turin area is where we will be. 🙂  

We rented a car (which I do not suggest). A friend went recently and said she took public transport to CT. 

DH had a conference in Turin, which is why we went there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Should we plan one full day or arrange fo stay overnight?    Did you hike it?  That is our plan at the moment but some trails are closed and might not be open yet due to washouts

We just did a day hike, but if we went back to Italy, we would definitely go again and try to stay overnight. But even a day hike is totally worth it! We only got to three (I think) of the villages.

• Like 1

I was in Cinque Terre in May 2021.  I flew into Milan and then took a train to Cinque Terre.  We spent three nights in CT.  We spent one day hiking, one day exploring the villages, and one beach day (we had planned a boat tour but the waters were too rough).  From there we took a train to Genoa.  Taking the train was easy and there were a number of small cafes, restaurants and local shops.  Lots of tourist visit but there are not big chain hotels and tourist traps of large tourist destinations.  People go to CT to enjoy the location and natural beauty.  

How far from Turin are you interested in going?  Switzerland tend to be expensive, compared to Austria--there are many lovely villages with lots of hiking and outdoor activities in the western part of Austria.  You could take a train to Austria and then fly out of Innsbruck or even Munich, Germany.  

• Like 1

I’m so excited for you! I have not been but it’s on my bucket list. My daughter and SIL went for a “delayed honeymoon” (waited until Covid restrictions lifted). I think they used rental drivers, like Uber (Bla Bla Car). She definitely told me renting one’s own car would be very difficult on the Amalfi coast due to extreme switchback and other hair-raising driving conditions. My girl is a brave driver but didn’t fancy that challenge. Pretty sure they took trains from city to city and then used rented drivers locally. 

• Like 1