Menu

Registering as a public high school student to take PSAT/NMSQT?

I've been calling three different high schools in our area, trying to sign up my son to take the NMSQT in October as soon as registration is open.  Today I received a reply from the district school he would normally be assigned to.  I can sign him up this week, but they said that in order for him to take the test, he will have to be registered as a high school student at their school.  I wasn't given much information, but the reasoning is something like: with the new digital PSAT, the College Board is pulling electronic records from the school and it's the only way for him to show up in the system?  After the test is over, he can be "dropped back" to home school student again.  The other two local schools haven't mentioned this registration requirement, but everyone sounds hurried on the phone and not the happiest to be dealing with me.

That conversation just generally set off alarm bells.  I'm worried that if he qualifies for National Merit (our whole reason for taking this test), arbitrary flip-flops in his school/status might harm him in becoming a finalist or with college applications.  I'm going to try and contact the College Board, but I wonder if anyone here has heard about this with the new test?

That's individual to their system, not National Merit's or the College Board's. Like, the school system has decided this for some reason. Maybe some reason that makes sense for how they allot resources and test, but it's something they've done, not something they've been forced to do.

I actually think it's probably ok? But I agree with 8 that you should double check because what a dumb thing to require.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cecropia said:

I've been calling three different high schools in our area, trying to sign up my son to take the NMSQT in October as soon as registration is open.  Today I received a reply from the district school he would normally be assigned to.  I can sign him up this week, but they said that in order for him to take the test, he will have to be registered as a high school student at their school.  I wasn't given much information, but the reasoning is something like: with the new digital PSAT, the College Board is pulling electronic records from the school and it's the only way for him to show up in the system?  After the test is over, he can be "dropped back" to home school student again.  The other two local schools haven't mentioned this registration requirement, but everyone sounds hurried on the phone and not the happiest to be dealing with me.

That conversation just generally set off alarm bells.  I'm worried that if he qualifies for National Merit (our whole reason for taking this test), arbitrary flip-flops in his school/status might harm him in becoming a finalist or with college applications.  I'm going to try and contact the College Board, but I wonder if anyone here has heard about this with the new test?

The whole digital thing is brand new this year so its very likely no one knows exactly how it is all going to go.

My son is taking the 11th grade test as well and everything is kinda fuzzy in the preparation.

• Like 3

My local school does that (and same for SAT Wednesday tests and also AP exams). 

It did not interfere with Natonal Merit in our most recent case (2022), but I did have to call College Board after the test and have them "merge" the 2 accounts. (I've had to do this before, and our school always apologizes that they can't figure out how to do it a different way. They know there IS another way, but can't figure it out. Every time, LOL. )

• Like 1

The rep from the College Board said that this issue has been an ongoing question, but there is no requirement right now for a school to enroll a home school student who takes the test at their facility.  They are allowed to do so.  However,  "home school" is supposed to be a possible option. He said that a quick change in school enrollment would not cause any problems with the College Board, but wasn't sure about National Merit Scholar Corporation.  He mentioned that if this particular public high school thinks it is a rule to enroll my child, perhaps I can gently direct them to call the College Board who will clear up any confusion.  I'm sure the school will love me for that.

The rep at NMSC said that the change in enrollment should not affect the program.  He said that there are eligibility questions at the beginning of the exam such as, "Is this your school of record?"  The NMSC does extensive follow up on their semifinalists, and any confusion about enrollment would be resolved during that process.  His advice was to follow the requirements of the high school, and in the case of issues call the high school directly, followed by the College Board.

https://www.mcelroytutoring.com/blog-post.php?id=5142

See if the NMSQT would allow you to use an SAT score to qualify instead of the PSAT. This would actually make qualifying easier, especially if you use multiple attempts.

https://www.milton.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Alternate-Entry-2022-NMSP.pdf

https://www.nationalmerit.org/s/1758/images/gid2/editor_documents/student_guide.pdf?gid=2&pgid=7 (page 7)