Menu

Foreign Language progression and opportunities

Dd- 8th is very interested in languages. She started Duoling French and Italian on her own and would love to become fluent. She's been doing French dutifully every day for over 4 months and Italian for 3 months. I'm trying to figure out where we go from here to help her progress without breaking the bank. 

We are trying out an actual curriculum this year along with Duolingo to move her along more but I think we'll probably need to move to online classes next year for highschool to really progress. She does have an aunt who is half-French and fluent. She's a retired teacher who mostly taught English but also French for a bit. She can be a bit intimidating but I think she'll work with dd some- although I obviously don't expect her to teach her full time she will be a good source to practice conversation in person.

I have very little experience with foreign languages. I had two years of crappy Spanish in PS as dd my 2 older children. I have no clue how much she can learn on her own or the FL class progression.

Also, I think I'd read at some point there are some opportunities for hs'ers to do some type of short-term foreign exchange. I think that might be something she was interested in the future if anyone has any information or experience with this. I'd just like to know what is out there.

I read some posts that recommended AIM academy. It's too late for classes this year but I see that she has a French Club and thought that might be something we could do this year. Any thoughts on that? 

TIA

Edited by Soror

22 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

Check and see if you have an Alliance Francaise chapter. AF Chapter Map - AFUSA   Summer French camps (DD went to Concordia and BYU.)  Local Francophone for language practice.  Watch news, listen to the radio, watch tv in French.  Read French books.  

Thank you for the information. I'll look into your recommendations. I remember you had a daughter that was very into languages so I appreciate your input.

My kids have had great luck starting with Duolingo and then moving to audiobooks in the new language, ideally with books they already know very well. Then movies/tv in the new language.

I find the audiobooks help them get completely immersed in the language, without the distraction of what’s happening onscreen.

• Like 3

My son has had a French speaking conversation teacher through Preply for about three years now, and we pay less than $10 an hour. Italki is also a good source for inexpensive but good tutors. Not sure what your budget is but my daughter has been tutoring French and Italian for several years now and apparently gets good results since she keeps getting more tutees. 

For exchange programs you could look at Education First (no personal experience of the though) or the Centre International d'Antibes in France, which my son tried one year. 

• Like 1