Menu

Teaching health

There are several states that require a "health class". Ours is not one of them and I never had a subject dedicated to "health" in school - I guess it was just folded into general science. What are your thoughts on teaching health? Is it something you just naturally fold into your daily lives or do you sit down and do a formal curriculum?

I took it in middle school in one state and high school in another, so it was in some schools back in the 80s and 90s.  My older took it at co-op where it was taught by a nurse, but I'd also think it was an easy 1/2 credit to do at home.  I'd have my student look into different ideas of a good diet and maybe keep a food journal for a week, talk about exercise and types that are life-long, and look at mental and reproductive health issues.  I'd also loot at drug use, addiction, and sleep.  Some classes have an overview of body systems and others don't - it would depend on what my student had done in biology class.  I might also add a CPR class.  Some areas offer classes like how to administer Narcan and if that was available I might consider including it.  

• Like 1

Apologia has a high school health course. TGTB has some health-based science units for the younger set. LifePac has some health options, too. My favorite one for the youngest set is Healthy Living From the Start by Oak Meadow.

https://www.apologia.com/shop/?swoof=1&pa_grade=high-school&pa_subject=science&pa_topic-series=health-nutrition&really_curr_tax=22-pa_grade

https://www.goodandbeautiful.com/pre-k-8-curriculum/science-health/

(scroll to the bottom of that one)

https://www.aop.com/curriculum/shop-lifepac/health-quest-set

I think they have one for the age range down and up, as well.

https://www.oakmeadowbookstore.com/PreK-8-Curriculum/Kindergarten/Healthy-Living-from-the-Start.html

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Oak Meadow with my older 2.  This year I'm teaching it at co-op and I'm still working on the syllabus, but hope to cover:    

1.  Basic body systems- problem solving how different activities affect your body's functions.  Going into greater depth with a bit of chemistry.

2.  Basic first-aid, CPR, vital signs.  What medications do in our bodies, basic medications people use.

3.  Mental health awareness, when to get help, positive habits

4.  Nutrition- how food is broken up and used in your body.  How it's stored.  Importance of specific vitamins and minerals in keeping you healthy. 

5.  Exercise- (I Doubt I have enough time for this) focus on cardiovascular health, easy routines to implement, importance of strong muscles  in preventing injury.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I've used Oak Meadow with my older 2.  This year I'm teaching it at co-op and I'm still working on the syllabus, but hope to cover:    

1.  Basic body systems- problem solving how different activities affect your body's functions.  Going into greater depth with a bit of chemistry.

2.  Basic first-aid, CPR, vital signs.  What medications do in our bodies, basic medications people use.

3.  Mental health awareness, when to get help, positive habits

4.  Nutrition- how food is broken up and used in your body.  How it's stored.  Importance of specific vitamins and minerals in keeping you healthy. 

5.  Exercise- (I Doubt I have enough time for this) focus on cardiovascular health, easy routines to implement, importance of strong muscles  in preventing injury.

Thank you-that's helpful! I would think some of that would just be covered just in daily conversations or other science books we use, but probably some not too (like CPR or mental health). I took a science class in college about drugs and how they affect the body. It was so interesting-I wonder if I can find that book somewhere (wish I had kept mine!). I'll take a look at oak meadow too-thanks!

I generally like to cover health topics organically, just as the need arises, but we have also found a few materials here and there that help cover things that we hadn't hit.  I found an elementary/middle school workbook that covered some concepts like understanding a medicine label, and we used a few of those in different years.  They made really quick and easy things to tuck in our portfolios in case anyone else ever complains.  We live in a high regulation state, and we also have to teach fire safety, so that hits health as well.  Last year, I found a page for our 14 year old that talked about avoiding burn situations while babysitting, and I thought it was pretty good, a lot of common sense info.

I did find this worktext online, and I will be assigning it to 14 year old this year.  It should take him no more than about 15 minutes once a week and will hit topics like sugar, sleep, drugs, alcohol, sex, etc.  Yes, we talk about those things, but hitting from another angle that is not a parent might be good too. https://www.ck12.org/book/teen-health-literacy/

• Like 1