Menu

Iliad & Odyssey Study

The Vandiver lectures series from Great Courses! There are twelve lectures for each book and the guidebook tells you which chapters go to which lecture. There are two questions included for each lecture that could be discussion or essay starters. Even as an adult who had read the story Vandiver brought that story alive for me. My kids were ready for them at 14, though it will give them high expectations of lecturer skills. My 15yo LOVED Vandiver and compares every other lecture he hears to her. 😄❤️

I get GC from Audible. The guidebook comes with it as a pdf file. 

• Like 4

We used the Garlic Press Discovering Literature challenger level guide for The Odyssey. It works with 4 different translations -- Fagles, Fitzgerald, Lattimore, and Rouse. Very meaty, with a summary of each "book" (chapter), and actual discussion questions (rather than comprehension questions) for digging into the work. A number of units with teaching info on various literature topics, each with examples from The Odyssey. Also suggested writing assignments, ideas for projects, and a list of other resources. Answer key in the back of the guide.

Available through the publisher (link above), but also through Amazon and other sellers.

Alas, they did not also have a guide for The Iliad.

I've heard good things about the Vandiver lectures on The Iliad and The Odyssey from The Teaching Company. 

I've also heard great things about the videos for Roman Roads Media Old Western Culture: The Greeks -- video lectures + workbook with discussion questions. From a Christian perspective. It includes a full year of study on Ancient Greek literature, so: The Iliad and The Odyssey, plus works from Greek tragedies and selections of Greek poets; Herodotus' and Thucydides' Histories; and selections from the philosophers Plato and Aristotle.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3