Menu

Food allergy question

popmom

I developed a shellfish allergy about a year and a half ago. My allergy doctor at the time skin tested me for several different types of shellfish--both crustaceans and mollusks. I'm definitely allergic to shrimp, but I didn't react to any mollusks. That doctor told me to come back in at some point to to a mollusk "challenge" because he felt like there was good chance I could tolerate them. I have just avoided all shellfish all this time. That doctor is close to retirement and only seeing children now, so I called today to make an appointment at another office. They told me they unable to do that type of testing at their office. I asked what they could do---which is skin testing and blood testing. I went ahead and made the appointment just to see if anything has changed. But I'm kinda perplexed over the challenge thing. That was pretty standard with my old allergy doctor for food allergies. Is this a liability issue? Should I try to find another doctor? 

Certainly I can live without mollusks in my life, but if I'm able... I'd like to eat a scallop. 😉

Edited by popmom

----Just re-read your post. Yes, they may not want to take on the liability.

Here are the labcorp testing codes: https://www.labcorp.com/tests/062695/allergen-profile-food-shellfish

Order code is the same for all shellfish, but result codes are different. You can see the specific result code for scallop.  

If you want to do a challenge ye old fashioned way, park yourself near the entrance to the ER with a nice lunch. Have someone else with you who can reliably get you through the door.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

----Just re-read your post. Yes, they may not want to take on the liability.

Here are the labcorp testing codes: https://www.labcorp.com/tests/062695/allergen-profile-food-shellfish

Order code is the same for all shellfish, but result codes are different. You can see the specific result code for scallop.  

If you want to do a challenge ye old fashioned way, park yourself near the entrance to the ER with a nice lunch. Have someone else with you who can reliably get you through the door.

Ha! I was considering doing this! 

16 minutes ago, popmom said:

I'm definitely allergic to shrimp

My dad, husband, husband’s nieces had only shrimp allergies. They are able to eat shrimps now, just in moderation. My husband would eat like three Asian tiger shrimps at most. 

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It was the unofficial advice of my old doctor! 😂

Mine just say to do that in the waiting area of ER 🤣 especially for potential drug allergies. Urgent care would work too and cost less out of pocket.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My dad, husband, husband’s nieces had only shrimp allergies. They are able to eat shrimps now, just in moderation. My husband would eat like three Asian tiger shrimps at most. 

Mine just say to do that in the waiting area of ER 🤣 especially for potential drug allergies. Urgent care would work too and cost less out of pocket.

It had never even occurred to me that I might be able to tolerate shrimp in the future. That's encouraging! Not counting on it, but who knows... I'd be more than content with scallops occasionally.

Edited by popmom

With shellfish allergy (which I have too) you should have an epipen. I would feel safe enough, knowing my allergies and how they come on and resolve, doing a challenge with my epipen in the other hand just in case and of course near a hospital since you need to go to the ER when you use your epipen anyways.

Even though my shellfish allergy was adult onset, I've found I just don't crave it anymore now that it has been years and years (15 years I think? I don't remember exactly anymore). I've done challenges a couple of times and I was still allergic each time. Since I don't even crave it anymore, I probably won't do anymore challenges.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

With shellfish allergy (which I have too) you should have an epipen. I would feel safe enough, knowing my allergies and how they come on and resolve, doing a challenge with my epipen in the other hand just in case and of course near a hospital since you need to go to the ER when you use your epipen anyways.

Even though my shellfish allergy was adult onset, I've found I just don't crave it anymore now that it has been years and years (15 years I think? I don't remember exactly anymore). I've done challenges a couple of times and I was still allergic each time. Since I don't even crave it anymore, I probably won't do anymore challenges.

I do have an epipen but I will wait until after this new doctor skin tests me. Then if I'm still not reacting to mollusks, I'll try it. 🙂

• Like 2

My MIL has done something similar. It was a pretty strict thing so to begin with it wasn't much of the allergic food. Hers also had a bit of fluffy new age-y things (we are all a little skeptical about that whole bit but she did it anyway - allergic to eggs and dairy is no fun because that stuff is in everything.) She is able to eat small amounts of egg now so at least if it's just a small addition to something she can have it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

If you want to try to find an allergist who will do a good challenge try to find one who does oral immunotherapy  (OIT). If you need help finding one PM me and I'll help. 

Interesting—I’m going to look into this!

• Like 1