Menu

ADE A Delectable Education Curriculum Templates and Consultation

Ting Tang

I found a few old threads on ADE.  It seems their consultations services are in demand--you cannot even schedule one until tomorrow, and they are booking through September. I have a busy summer, but I wouldn't want to wait until September.  So....

The next best thing might be purchasing their curriculum templates for the Charlotte Mason forms.  Has anyone tried those?  What did you think?

I was going to buy the scheduling templates but ended up finding a free scheduling form on a Mind in the Light. 

Here’s the link to her planning form.

https://www.amindinthelight.com/_files/ugd/ee778c_c5c1e2e5c91d42c4b6f6a5bd619012fd.pdf

This is the general help page for creating your own CM schedule. 

https://www.amindinthelight.com/create-your-own-curriculum

SCM also has a free planner/scheduler for up to 50 books I believe. 

Crystal/Simple Studies also has Form Guides now I believe. 

If you’re really set on ADE I think A Humble Place a blog post explaining how their schedule cards work if you wanted to get a feel for it. 

Edited by AnneGG
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Green Bean said:

(I replied in your Just Going to call it a year It thread.)

What is ADE? New one to me.

Thank you so much! I probably missed your response the other day!  ADE is a Charlotte Mason podcast/help site (I guess one might say).  They offer a service to help you plan your own curriculum.  It says that if you need to combine or have more specific needs, it might be a good service.  I am just very torn on the whole "combination" thing.  Kids need to read on their own, but then again, combining might make our homeschool efficient.  And then I do not know how much or how little is necessary for our homeschool.  I like your idea of simplicity! 

12 hours ago, AnneGG said:

I was going to buy the scheduling templates but ended up finding a free scheduling form on a Mind in the Light. 

Here’s the link to her planning form.

https://www.amindinthelight.com/_files/ugd/ee778c_c5c1e2e5c91d42c4b6f6a5bd619012fd.pdf

This is the general help page for creating your own CM schedule. 

https://www.amindinthelight.com/create-your-own-curriculum

SCM also has a free planner/scheduler for up to 50 books I believe. 

Crystal/Simple Studies also has Form Guides now I believe. 

If you’re really set on ADE I think A Humble Place a blog post explaining how their schedule cards work if you wanted to get a feel for it. 

Thank you so much!  I am really torn on how to "combine" without sacrificing the importance of my kids reading on their own---but also keeping things as stress-free and efficient for myself.  I could see how individual CM educations could keep me a box checker looking for the end of the school day.  I don't know how much or how little of a book collection we need... I've perused the A Mind in the Light site a bit, but it seems to be missing a specific plan for beyond grade 4?

8 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you so much!  I am really torn on how to "combine" without sacrificing the importance of my kids reading on their own---but also keeping things as stress-free and efficient for myself.  I could see how individual CM educations could keep me a box checker looking for the end of the school day.  I don't know how much or how little of a book collection we need... I've perused the A Mind in the Light site a bit, but it seems to be missing a specific plan for beyond grade 4?

Yes, I think AMITL is still working on “packages” for the upper grades. I still find her free guides for each year very helpful. 

Have you looked at the CMEC? That might be what you’re looking for. 

If it’s just planning help you’re after, you might like Pam Barnhill. She is getting ready to offer live planning help in her auto pilot course. She’s not specifically CM but more “cm flavored.” 

https://pambarnhill.lpages.co/autopilot/#planspricing-1

13 minutes ago, AnneGG said:

Yes, I think AMITL is still working on “packages” for the upper grades. I still find her free guides for each year very helpful. 

Have you looked at the CMEC? That might be what you’re looking for. 

If it’s just planning help you’re after, you might like Pam Barnhill. She is getting ready to offer live planning help in her auto pilot course. She’s not specifically CM but more “cm flavored.” 

https://pambarnhill.lpages.co/autopilot/#planspricing-1

Thank you! I will check out CMEC and Pam Barnhill--ever heard of Pam Barnhill!  I think I need help with choices, too. Maybe I understand more than I think I do.  I'm just not feeling confident!  My husband says to think about it.  The ADE consultation could end up being $200.  That might be well worth it, or I am capable of coming up with something good, and I could have spent that elsewhere, lol.

I had never heard of A Mind in the Light, so I went over and looked around. Imagine my delight to find a whole page discussion of "Understood Betsy," one of my all-time favorite books! Why that book isn't on every must-read list, I'll never understand. 🙂 ❤️

• Like 6

Simply Charlotte Mason has a schedule book and DVD to DIY. Also they sell family history geography Bible plans that I really like for like $20. This has some combined some on own that I really appreciate. Sometimes I add a book to the plans because I want to and they are on the lighter/simpler side. I like that as we have farm kids whose whole life is certainly not school;) They also have really great science plans. I especially like pond and stream and discovering what God has made for 1-3 and Investigating what God has made for 4-6.

I'm trying for a simple year that isn't just stripped to basics. We're keeping on with the math, spelling and phonics we've mostly always used doing SCM history and enrichment and various interest led science-all textbooks this year! I'm adding in the old Analytical Grammar and Write with the best for the oldest 1 or 2 along with written narrations and doing copywork from SCM and primary language lessons for the 2nd grader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, countrymum said:

Simply Charlotte Mason has a schedule book and DVD to DIY. Also they sell family history geography Bible plans that I really like for like $20. This has some combined some on own that I really appreciate. Sometimes I add a book to the plans because I want to and they are on the lighter/simpler side. I like that as we have farm kids whose whole life is certainly not school;) They also have really great science plans. I especially like pond and stream and discovering what God has made for 1-3 and Investigating what God has made for 4-6.

I'm trying for a simple year that isn't just stripped to basics. We're keeping on with the math, spelling and phonics we've mostly always used doing SCM history and enrichment and various interest led science-all textbooks this year! I'm adding in the old Analytical Grammar and Write with the best for the oldest 1 or 2 along with written narrations and doing copywork from SCM and primary language lessons for the 2nd grader.

I’ve considered SCM.  Will you use it for highschool?

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you! I will check out CMEC and Pam Barnhill--ever heard of Pam Barnhill!  I think I need help with choices, too. Maybe I understand more than I think I do.  I'm just not feeling confident! 

Pam Barnhill also has a free blog and podcast. I've found those helpful. Mostly because she isn't one of those this is the way. She's more of a how do you make what works for you.  Somewhere on the site she has free planner pages too. I found her overall (not day to day or week to week) planner pages to be a lot of help in narrowing down what I want out of our homeschool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nm. said:

I’ve considered SCM.  Will you use it for highschool?

Well we're using it for 7th on down for enrichment and history bible and geography. They suggest Wile's books for 7-12 science which I plan to use. I feel free to add/ substitute books anytime. I do some of their LA suggestions and will continue to do so. We don't use Spelling Wisdom or using language well due to how our kids learn. We use RightStart (an older SCM suggestion) then videoText for math.

I'll probably use their history Bible Geography guides through highschool and add in exploring government as they suggest. I'm not really concerned about rigorous history in HS. I can add in papers in HS ala written narrations which is encouraged anyway. I add in my own literature for the children to read.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 2:22 PM, Green Bean said:

Reading on their own for pleasure is fine.

Doing it together creates way more depth of discussion. I have combined mine for years and those shared lessons have been memorable and moving. You do you, though.

I think we will do a combination.  I do think my oldest in particular needs to read for instruction more on his own. He actually gives wonderfully detailed narrations. Now I need to have him do the same through his writing, too!

• Like 1

I have the ADE curriculum templates. They are good if you are a Charlotte Mason purist but we are not. So while I pull them out and play with them each year nothing really plans out from it.

As much as i use the curriculum templates, I also glean a lot of ideas and framework from looking at samples of other Charlotte Mason curriculum schedules. I've learn to look past precisely what they are scheduling and just look at the framework of how much and how often.

I like looking at Barefoot Meanderings samples for their wayfarer curriculum http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/ I seek inspiration from it when I'm leaning towards doing more things together as a group.

I like looking at the one week samples from  charlottemasonphilippines.com.

My favorite resource is Minimalism Homeschooling with a Charlotte mason Education. I got it off Etsy for $6, but it looks like it's no longer being sold. There's an e-mail address in the file. If you are interested send me a PM and I can give you their e-mail address and hopefully you can buy a copy.

8 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

I have the ADE curriculum templates. They are good if you are a Charlotte Mason purist but we are not. So while I pull them out and play with them each year nothing really plans out from it.

As much as i use the curriculum templates, I also glean a lot of ideas and framework from looking at samples of other Charlotte Mason curriculum schedules. I've learn to look past precisely what they are scheduling and just look at the framework of how much and how often.

I like looking at Barefoot Meanderings samples for their wayfarer curriculum http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/ I seek inspiration from it when I'm leaning towards doing more things together as a group.

I like looking at the one week samples from  charlottemasonphilippines.com.

My favorite resource is Minimalism Homeschooling with a Charlotte mason Education. I got it off Etsy for $6, but it looks like it's no longer being sold. There's an e-mail address in the file. If you are interested send me a PM and I can give you their e-mail address and hopefully you can buy a copy.

Thanks very much! I’ll take a look at these resources. I haven’t purchased the ADE templates. I tried messaging them and got a very short response, which was a bit of a turnoff before potentially spending $200 on a consultation. Do the templates list the specific history streams recommended by form and year/ are they editable? My son wants the Middle Ages, but they only go through year 1000 in his form. I only saw one sample page that listed specific passages from the Bible. There was not enough information or samples  for me to want to spend $40 on two PDFs. Like you, a general schedule of what and how often is helpful. One of the writers has that elsewhere. I’d get the templates if I knew more of what was in them, 

Edited by Ting Tang

I personally was disappointed with the ADE templates. It help you create an ideal framework, but there wasn't much support in how to populate the plan. I didn't remember it last night, but between ADE templates and cmplenary.com Charlotte Mason your way, i preferred the Plenary one more. 

The challenge is always figuring out how much depth? how much breath? How much time? How often? How much individually? How much as a group? You create this amazing master plan and nothing puzzles into the format you want. you've found the perfect world history but its scheduled to be four days a week and you only have allotted one day a week.  So do you then just take all the available resources and puzzle them into something? and back and forth. 

I've spent many years and who knows how much money trying to find the perfect solution/ puzzling and have given up. While it's still a chaotic mess, just accepting that it's going to be a chaotic mess nothing is going to line up right, has been rather freeing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

I personally was disappointed with the ADE templates. It help you create an ideal framework, but there wasn't much support in how to populate the plan. I didn't remember it last night, but between ADE templates and cmplenary.com Charlotte Mason your way, i preferred the Plenary one more. 

The challenge is always figuring out how much depth? how much breath? How much time? How often? How much individually? How much as a group? You create this amazing master plan and nothing puzzles into the format you want. you've found the perfect world history but its scheduled to be four days a week and you only have allotted one day a week.  So do you then just take all the available resources and puzzle them into something? and back and forth. 

I've spent many years and who knows how much money trying to find the perfect solution/ puzzling and have given up. While it's still a chaotic mess, just accepting that it's going to be a chaotic mess nothing is going to line up right, has been rather freeing. 

Well, thank you so much!  Somewhere I came across a page count per form, which is somewhat helpful, I guess?  I will look on the plenary site.  I have looked at so many things recently.  I know scheduling is big in CM, but we won't be able to have the same schedule everyday.  Still, on the days we have nowhere to be, I will do my best!  I love the idea of a "feast" but not being stuck with too much curriculum throughout the year.  

• Like 1

I have the form 2 maybe 1 templates. I don't use them..... I like the SCM plan your year book better. It is more helpful I think and less schedule driven.

I also like the weekly grid Ambleside uses and made up something like that for my big kids this year. It helps me see how much they have to do each week and hopefully push them toward a bit of self scheduling;) I have bought each of them a planner called my student logbook from edutaters the last few years that gives them a daily checklist after it's filled out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, countrymum said:

I have the form 2 maybe 1 templates. I don't use them..... I like the SCM plan your year book better. It is more helpful I think and less schedule driven.

I also like the weekly grid Ambleside uses and made up something like that for my big kids this year. It helps me see how much they have to do each week and hopefully push them toward a bit of self scheduling;) I have bought each of them a planner called my student logbook from edutaters the last few years that gives them a daily checklist after it's filled out.

Thanks so much--it's helpful to read about these templates that require purchase but don't provide great samples.  I think it is AO that has page counts, too, so I think that helps determine if it is too little or too much.  

10 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Thanks so much--it's helpful to read about these templates that require purchase but don't provide great samples.  I think it is AO that has page counts, too, so I think that helps determine if it is too little or too much.  

I really like the way Mater Amabilis schedules things. Their syllabus schedules and their weekly sample schedules are helpful for me. 

http://materamabilis.org/ma/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/1a2outline.pdf

It sounds so easy. 😁😝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 6:43 PM, AnneGG said:

I really like the way Mater Amabilis schedules things. Their syllabus schedules and their weekly sample schedules are helpful for me. 

http://materamabilis.org/ma/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/1a2outline.pdf

It sounds so easy. 😁😝

I do like theirs, too!  I spent some time trying to implement MA last year.  One thing that always gets me is how some things in various CM curriculums are split over years, so I never felt like we'd math up perfectly, not that we have to---