Menu

Looking for a great chili recipe

There are so many on the net, I'm looking for personal experience! I was vegetarian for 20 years, so I don't have meaty chili recipes of my own.

Preferred would be:

beef

beans

tomato/red sauce based (not chile verde)

medium hot

But if you have chili that is to DIE for, post away!

A good cornbread recipe might be a good addition as well. ;)

Thanks!!!

My basic recipe is a pound of ground beef browned with chopped onion and bell pepper. I add 2 cans of tomato sauce and 1 can of kidney beans (with liquid). Stir in salt. pepper and chili powder to taste.

Sweet corn bread - use Jiffy corn bread mix

Not sweet corn bread - use the recipe on the box

That feeds a family of 4 with no leftovers.

This is mine, I think it's pretty good. I just use chili powder.

1 lb. Beef

1/2 green pepper chopped

1/2 c. chopped onion

1 Tbsp. minced garlic

1/2 c. chopped celery

14 oz. pasta sauce (you can also use marinara or canned diced tomatoes with tomato paste)

12 oz. can stewed tomatoes

2 Tbsp. chili powder (you can also use the chili packets as well, if so this replaces cumin spice, chili powder, basil and oregano. HOWEVER be warned. The more packets of chili mix you use, the HOTTER it will be.)

1 tsp. cumin spice

1 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp oregano

14 oz. can kidney beans (can also use 12 oz can if you're not big on beans)

12 oz. can chopped mushrooms

** You can also add other veggies that you like. Start by adding half cups.

1) Brown beef. Half way through browning add minced garlic. Drain fat and return to pot.

2) Add green pepper, onion, celery and simmer of 10 minutes. Stir occasionally

3) Add IN ORDER, first -- kidney beans, mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, and pasta sauce on top. Place all spices on top of pasta sauce and mix together.

4) Simmer for 30-45 minutes.

5) You can serve immediately with shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream (although these are optional). However, if you want a bit of extra kick: Remove from burner and cool to room temperature. Then place pot in fridge overnight.

Chipotle Peppers make the difference:-) I just brown up some smallish chunks of stew beef, start adding cans of tomatoes...then add cans of different beans including the pintos with spices(I really liked the "white" kidney beans I used last time) add up some sauteed onions and mushrooms...stir...add one or two peppers. I freeze the rest of the peppers individually, cuz I don't want to waste them.(Don't get scared, they're not too hot...unless you add to many:-) Keep tasting till you find out how much you like....)

If you just crockpot this for a while...it's yummy. Of course, I don't mind that it's a bit different every time. I think the difference is those chipolte peppers! The are a bit smoky...and make the chili ...oh so good:-)

We can eat and eat this....and it's good on cooked pasta...and or fritos...with sour cream.....

I think the fun of chili is that you don't really need a recipe for it to turn out great!

PS, you could totally skip the meat...it'd be just as good!

Ok...well that's how I do it:-)

Carrie:-)

We like this one. Its a take on a Rachel Ray recipe. The recipe is for 4 svgs, but I regularly change it to six pretty easily. It can be done in a short time on the stove top, but I prefer the crock pot method below; just deepens the flavors:

1 lg onion, chopped

2 green (or red, whatever you have) peppers, chopped

1-2 jalepenos, chopped (optional)

Saute in skillet w/ 1-2 Tbs olive oil. When nearly tender add:

4 garlic cloves, minced

Saute another minute. Add:

1 c beer or 1 c broth

Boil til half the liquid evaporates. Pour into crock. To the crock add:

1 28oz can diced tomatoes

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 good handful frozen corn

1 1/2 Tbs cumin

1 1/2 Tbs chili powder (or to taste, of course)

4-6 dashes tobasco

1-2 tsp course salt

Couple grinds of black pepper

Cook on low for as long as you need it to cook (if you cook it all in one pot on the stove top, its done by the time it warms through, but I like it in the crock about 4-6 hrs). We serve it w/grated cheddar and chopped red or green onions and blue chips.

One chopped onion

A clove or two of garlic, chopped/mashed

3 cans beans of different kinds--black, white, pinto, whatever

1 can beef broth

1 large can crushed tomatoes

a couple of tsp each of cumin and chili powder

Saute onion, garlic, cumin and chili powder in oil until onions are soft. Dump in everything else. Cook for a couple of hours. Yum.

We like to serve chili over rice, with grated cheese on top.

You can add chiles of some kind, if you'd like. You can also add beef--ground or cubed--with the onion and brown.

I like Marie Callendar cornbread.

I just wing it, so I can't give you specific amounts as it varies on how big of a pot I'm making. The things that I like about my chili vs. some chili I've had is that I use at least one large can of petite dices tomatoes along with stewed tomatoes. I love the small pieces of tomatoes in the chili. I also discovered that adding cinnamon makes it even better.

Fry 1lb (or more) hamburger with a chopped onion. Drain. Add petite diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes to make as big of a batch as you want. Add Italian seasoning, chili powder, cayenne pepper, a sprinkling of sugar, and cinnamon to taste. Sometimes I'll put in some garlic or other spices if I'm in the mood. Simmer for as long as you can stand it because it gets better as it cooks. My kids like to eat it over macaroni. Dh and I add some hot sauce. We all like shredded cheese on it.

ETA I also put in a big can of kidney beans.

Edited by Krista in LA

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Preferred would be:

beef

beans

tomato/red sauce based (not chile verde)

medium hot

This sounds just like mine.

1 Tbs. canola oil

4 jalapenos, minced (To make my chili medium-hot, I seed and devein 3 of them.)

1 medium onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp. salt

1 lb. ground sirloin

2 Tbs. chili powder

1 Tbs. cumin

1 tsp. oregano

1 bay leaf

14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

15 oz can tomato sauce

16 oz can kidney beans

Toppings: grated cheddar, chopped green onions, and sour cream (particularly good to mix in for littles if you have made it a bit too spicy for them)

:001_smile: Underings: When my oldest were toddlers, a friend had us over for chili one night and served elbow pasta with it, using it as a bed for the chili. I loved that and have done it ever since. It's wonderful for toddlers.

Heat oil in dutch oven on M-H heat. Add jalapenos-salt, mixing well. Add meat and cook through. Add chili powder-bay leaf and incorporate well. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a while. (Sometimes I simmer for hours and sometimes I serve right away.)

This chili is my oldest son's absolute favorite meal.

I have a decent cornbread recipe but I find the box of Jiffy with a Tbs. of sugar added so easy and cheap I don't bother.

Good luck deciding!

Kristina

ETA: While I was typing this out, my toddler had a potty training accident on the chair in my bedroom. That means you are obligated to try my recipe first, right? :lol:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

1 lb ground beef

1 lb sausage (can use mild or hot - or just 2 lbs gr beef)

1 onion, diced

brown above & drain

In pot, add above and:

2-3 cans tomato soup

2 cans beans (I usually use 1 can kidney beans & 1 can chili beans, but have also used black beans or pinto beans)

1 can diced tomato

chili powder to taste

a little sugar (sorry I've never measured - maybe 2-3 tablespoons?)

simmer and serve

As you can tell this recipe gets changed up from time to time. It is also good with a can of corn added.

I make the recipe for Hell's Kitchen Chili from The New Basics Cookbook. It uses cubed bottom round instead of ground beef, and it is fall apart tender when you finish cooking.

It doens't have beans, but uses the bottom round, onions, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cracked red pepper. Delish!

If it interests you let me know and I'll get it out and share the recipe with you.

Here's mine. Don't tell my family, k? :D It's a crock-pot recipe.

2 cans low-sodium kidney beans (drained and rinsed)

2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes

2 lbs stew meat

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2-3 Tbl. chili powder (we like 3 or 4 but we like it spicy)

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp salt

Throw in the Crock-pot. Stir once. Cook on low 10-12 hours (this is best) or high for 5-6.

My kids really like for me to serve this over egg noodles (it helps tame down the spice for them) but a good old-fashioned piece of unsweetened cornbread does it for me.