Menu

Konos? Or something like it?

Janeway

Anyone have a very good hands on well organized curriculum that can be used with multi age levels? Not just a literature based program, but rather something that’s quite hands on? Two of my kids are not big reader so literature based it’s kind of difficult. 

On 5/9/2023 at 9:35 PM, Janeway said:

Anyone have a very good hands on well organized curriculum that can be used with multi age levels? Not just a literature based program, but rather something that’s quite hands on? Two of my kids are not big reader so literature based it’s kind of difficult. 

Well, KONOS is a unit study, not literature-based. Just to clear that up for folks who aren't familiar with it. 🙂

Are you interested in a unit study? KONOS covers everything except math and English skills; that is, the dc might *use* math, or English skills, but those are not taught. KONOS teaches everything (history, geography, science, Bible, arts and crafts, literature) while studying godly character traits such as orderliness, attentiveness, inquisitiveness, and wisdom, depending on which volume you use. The general rule is that you teach to the oldest child and let the littles come along; The authors wrote KONOS Vol. 1 when their dc were little, so the activities are kind of better for younger children (up to about, oh, 8yo); ditto Vol. 2 (Up to about 12yo); and Vol. 3 (up to about 13 yo).

You can use the volumes in any order, keeping the best ages in mind. Also, Vol. 2 is the only one that does history chronologically. Also, everything you need to know is *right there* in each volume. No need for library, even though library books are suggested--they just aren't *necessary*. No need for the KONOS Compass. And really, no need for the lesson plans that are now bound into each volume. I cut my volumes apart and drill them for three holes, and keep them in a three-ring notebook; if I were buying the volumes again, I would cut off the binding, remove the lesson plans, then drill the rest.

Edited by Ellie

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

Well, KONOS is a unit study, not literature-based. Just to clear that up for folks who aren't familiar with it. 🙂

Are you interested in a unit study? KONOS covers everything except math and English skills; that is, the dc might *use* math, or English skills,

I remember the extensive hands on and not being literature based. It seems everything out there is literature based these days and that is the last thing my children want. Plus, I already own a ba-jillion books so I do not really wish to try to buy more from someone else's list. 

That makes a lot of sense.  Campfire is not literature based.  The lesson is read aloud and then activities.  It can cover everything except math.  I found it more open and go than konos.  If you have the energy/focus to plan for konos it is really nice.  Konos sat on my shelf as a big book of ideas.  

Edited by Nm.