Menu

colored ends for dark hair

maize

My 15 year old has waist length hair. She wants to cut it significantly shorter, but before she does that she wants to try dying the ends a bright color just for fun.

Her hair is dark brown, I'm assuming we need to bleach it before dying it? Any advice on how to do this, what products to use? Favorite dye products for maybe a bright blue (color hasn't been settled yet)? We will be doing it ourselves, not going to the salon. Not worried about damage to the hair since it will be cut soon.

My only experience with hair dye is coloring my own at home to cover the gray.

You need a powder cream bleach and a developer to bleach first. I order wella from amazon but since you don’t care about damage consider just going to some place like Sally’s beauty supply and grabbing what’s on sale. The sales person might have tips about the best thing in stock. 

• Thanks 1

Mine was done at the salon so I have no idea on products. However I am sensitive to the smell of bleach and hair dye so if your daughter is sensitive to smells maybe keep the exhaust fan running. The bleach did not damage my hair but I was doing highlights for fun.

• Thanks 1

My daughter uses the L'oreal Quick Blue powder bleach and Clairol Professional Pure White 30 Volume Creme Developer. Those were generally the ones we saw recommended online and she wanted to do it all herself(she was 14 at the time) and had no problems doing so.

We went with Arctic Fox for the hair color-I will say one of the unintended side effects of using that particular hair color is how nice it smelled. I  think my daughter liked that it wasn't as harsh as some other hair colors can tend to be.

• Thanks 1

Manic Panic for intense colour, Overtone conditioner *for brown hair* (it's a specific formula for dark hair vs their regular line) for less vibrant colour that will wash out.

https://manicpanic.com/collections/hair-color

https://overtone.co/collections/for-brown-hair

I was a Manic Panic devotee as a teen in the 80's, now I love Overtone. No bleaching required for either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1