Menu

Is Handwriting Without Tears the only PreK handwriting program available?

jewel7123

I really want to start something when my daughter is 4 instead of 5 when she begins kindergarten, but most handwriting programs don't have a PreK option to teach handwriting readiness and improve fine motor skills, etc. I know many, many people love and use HWT, but I'm just not crazy about their handwriting style. I prefer the more traditional, rounder looking letters. Are there any other options out there for PreK? If not, has anyone used HWT for PreK and then switched over to something else for K, such as a Reason for Handwriting or would that be too confusing for my child? Thanks

There's Cursive First:-) You might agree with it, if you read the book. It explains that cursive has been taught first, until the last 60 or so years. You did manuscript in Highschool for mapping.

There's http://www.masterypublications.com/Handwriting.htm

http://www.masterypublications.com/Cursive.htm

I ordered the sample, and while it's clear that it's a small company, I liked it. I ended up using Cursive First because I use WRTR, but I liked this. I also like the fact that for my 5 yr old, there was a place to trace inside of their letters instead of over dotted lines. Much easier for my son.

Carrie:-)

We are using the Rod & Staff Readiness books...I was surprised at how much handwriting there is in those. DS loves 'em! We plan on using A Reason for Handwriting next year.

I guess I am a whole lot more relaxed at that age. My oldest did not do a handwriting 'program', and my 4yo son is now doing what she started with. We learned the different letters, starting with their names first. Learned to write their name, then other words by increasing letters. And then once they could write more than two or three words, started having them copy little sentences or Bible verses.

I used all kinds of mediums for letter recognition, and progressed from fatter writing instruments to thinner, and also started with wide paper.

We are using the Rod & Staff Readiness books...I was surprised at how much handwriting there is in those. DS loves 'em! We plan on using A Reason for Handwriting next year.

Do you mean like Do It Carefully, Finding the Answers, etc.? Which ones are you using exactly? I never would have thought to use those for handwriting readiness!

Do you mean like Do It Carefully, Finding the Answers, etc.? Which ones are you using exactly? I never would have thought to use those for handwriting readiness!

Yes, the first book didn't have any writing in it, but we are on C, "Counting with Numbers" and it is almost all writing numbers. We love it! I think the D book starts some letters. It's totally cheap and good for their age.

Oh, I wanted to add that R&S makes the writing really fun. Every number so far has had a little rhyme to help him remember how to make the letter. (He remembers the rhymes better than I do!) For example:

A straight line down and then you're done, this is how you make a 1!

Across the sky and down from Heaven, this is how you make a 7!

Make an S, but don't wait - climb back up to make an 8!

He insists on saying the rhymes himself. ;)

Great to have it as fun as possible right now.

There's a lot of copying and then a lot of opportunities to write it themselves.

I have used Peterson's Guide to Handwriting. They have tape/cd that little kids learn left and rights and different movements to help build up certain muscles. I really liked the program, and will probably use it for my daughter. Her co-op uses Handwriting Without Tears and I like the start of it - I don't like their cursive at all. I much prefer Peterson's or Zaner Bloser.

There is also Donna Young - she offers free printables and follows a reading program (not sure).

Hope this Helps,

Tribemama,

Mother to the Tribe

Alex(15),Sean(11),Gaby(10),Max(7),Eleanor(3),Tobias(2),and Owen(our new bundle).....

We use HWT. I bought it for pre-K and I wouldn't buy it again. It's mainly a coloring book. You'd do better to investigate some of the other programs people have mentioned, or to go to Walmart for an ABC coloring book.

Blessings!

It is only a coloring book if you use the book only. The program is designed to do a workbook page every other day. On the non-workbook page days you are to do a manipulative activity(wooden letter pieces, roll-a-dough letters) and/or practice writing the letters on the slate.

My biggest drawback is it ONLY teaches capital letters. I have all but quit HWT K because I am so frustrated about my dd wanting to write in all caps. This doesn't bother some people, but it was driving me crazy. I loved, loved, loved the program until I ran into the all cap's thing with my dd. I wish HWT's had manipulative's that worked on lower case letters like their capital letters.

Have you looked at ETC Primers A,B&C? They have a fair amount of handwriting instruction, eye-hand coordination development and teach letter sounds. I think it is too easy for K and is just right for preschool. I bought if for my k'er and it was way too easy.

I loved, loved, loved the program until I ran into the all cap's thing with my dd. I wish HWT's had manipulative's that worked on lower case letters like their capital letters.

I was looking at the FS board one day and someone was selling their HWT set, which included pieces made by her dh which could be used to form lowercase letters. If you ask about it maybe she would speak up.

It is only a coloring book if you use the book only. The program is designed to do a workbook page every other day. On the non-workbook page days you are to do a manipulative activity(wooden letter pieces, roll-a-dough letters) and/or practice writing the letters on the slate.

My biggest drawback is it ONLY teaches capital letters. I have all but quit HWT K because I am so frustrated about my dd wanting to write in all caps. This doesn't bother some people, but it was driving me crazy. I loved, loved, loved the program until I ran into the all cap's thing with my dd. I wish HWT's had manipulative's that worked on lower case letters like their capital letters.

Have you looked at ETC Primers A,B&C? They have a fair amount of handwriting instruction, eye-hand coordination development and teach letter sounds. I think it is too easy for K and is just right for preschool. I bought if for my k'er and it was way too easy.

You're right Tabrett. I should have included that in my post. I do all of that with her now, in the K level. I like HWT, but I personally think buying things like that for Pre-k is a waste of money. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy Rod and Staff (for pre-K), and move onto HWT for K. Too bad I did it twice before I came to that conclusion:lol:. I don't have any kids left to put my money where my mouth is.

On a side note, I've heard that once you teach printing, you can go right into cursive and that will correct any problems. My daughter had trouble with reversals until we started cursive. Maybe you could start cursive and that would solve the all caps problem?

Blessings!

FWIW, I bought a wooden set of lower case letters through here with 20% discount (you join their email list and will frequently get coupons)

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7C2534374302091461~~.jsp

and made my own upper case letters using kitchen cutting mats (made of thick polypropylene). The template for upper case is in the teacher's manual.

My 2 sons are close in age (3 and 4y/o) and so I had the younger doing HWT and the older doing ETC. Both sets of books were relatively inexpensive and it's been nice to use both as HWT is more "hands-on" with manipulatives, and ETC is more "puzzle-like". HWT does get boring just using the workbook alone, but with the teacher's manual of activities, my boys love the "Mat Man" character that you create with the wood pieces. Hope it helps a little :)

FWIW, I bought a wooden set of lower case letters through here with 20% discount (you join their email list and will frequently get coupons)

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7C2534374302091461~~.jsp

and made my own upper case letters using kitchen cutting mats (made of thick polypropylene). The template for upper case is in the teacher's manual.

My 2 sons are close in age (3 and 4y/o) and so I had the younger doing HWT and the older doing ETC. Both sets of books were relatively inexpensive and it's been nice to use both as HWT is more "hands-on" with manipulatives, and ETC is more "puzzle-like". HWT does get boring just using the workbook alone, but with the teacher's manual of activities, my boys love the "Mat Man" character that you create with the wood pieces. Hope it helps a little :)

Thanks.

All I need is to buy more stuff for my "curriculum" addiction.:lol:

Great website!!!

A friend of mine who is a preschool teacher, invited me to attend a statewide early childhood educational conference. One of the booths in the exhibit hall had a WONDERFUL preK handwriting program called On the Road to Reading and Writing. It had a cd of music by one of the performers at the conference, and alot of fine motor activities. There were also lots of manipulatives in the box. It isn't cheap though, so my co-op is looking for a way to buy one to share.

I really want to start something when my daughter is 4 instead of 5 when she begins kindergarten, but most handwriting programs don't have a PreK option to teach handwriting readiness and improve fine motor skills, etc. I know many, many people love and use HWT, but I'm just not crazy about their handwriting style. I prefer the more traditional, rounder looking letters. Are there any other options out there for PreK? If not, has anyone used HWT for PreK and then switched over to something else for K, such as a Reason for Handwriting or would that be too confusing for my child? Thanks

I like the pre-k book. It worked especially well for my son. It actually works a lot on letter stokes and such, so while it does cover letters I don't think it would be that difficult to use it while they are young and switch to RFH for 1st. It is all done in crayon and pretty low key. It is not lines of practice where they are going to learn a specific letter formation and the strokes should be pretty close to the same. I think the K would be the most differently done (because HWT teaches a side ways V instead of doing two separate lines out). If you know the strokes for RFH you could just modify anything the HWT book did differently.

Heather

I was going to mention the same thing...my 4yo DD is working through these and they are right on track for learning early letter construction.