Menu

whole greens powder....which one is best??

ProudGrandma

I have a daughter (22) who is allergic to corn.  But also has something called Oral Allergy Syndrome to nearly every raw fruit and veggie known to man.  I want her to start taking a whole greens powder supplement, but there are so many on the market with such a variety of price points that I don't even know where to begin.  

If someone here is using this type of product, I would be so grateful for your input and recommendations.  Of course, tasting decent is a bonus for sure....or at least ways to hide the unpleasant flavor.  

THANKS!!!! 

I'm surprised no one else has responded to this. We currently use this one, although the price is crazy, MacroLife Naturals Macro s Powder - 38 Superfood Mineral, Enzyme, Antioxidant and Herbal Blend - Plant-Based Immune, Energy and Cleanse Vegan, Gluten-Free, Green, 1.87 Pound , 30 oz https://a.co/d/ePjWn5f

We have used a few over the years, but I'd have to dig a bit to figure out which ones. Some of them are gross tasting, but those ones are probably healthier! The one I linked tastes pretty good, but I often add Natural Calm to it, which makes it even better. 

I will say that I feel better when I take it 2-3 times a day, but that very well could be because when I do that I'm making healthier choices in general. 

We use NaturesPlus Ultra Juice Green Powder. - https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-Ultra-Juice-Powder/dp/B01BHV78RS

I don't know if it is the best or not - our local natural food/health place carries this brand along with a couple of others, and they are pretty good about trying to select the best affordable within a category. 

As for taste, I can't say. We add it to smoothies, so if there is taste, it is covered up in strawberry & blueberry flavoring + kefir. 

I purchase all the different green powders, mushroom powders, seaweed powders, herbal powders, hemp and pea protein powders, vegetable powders, and probably others-suited to my needs and desires, and create my own "green powder."  I store in quart jars.  I use a huge scoop daily in a kale smoothy with homemade coconut milk. The initial investment is costly, but not in any comparison to some of the higher end products on the market and they do not contain the quality, quantity, and amount of ingredients that mine does.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AngelaGT said:

I purchase all the different green powders, mushroom powders, seaweed powders, herbal powders, hemp and pea protein powders, vegetable powders, and probably others-suited to my needs and desires, and create my own "green powder."  I store in quart jars.  I use a huge scoop daily in a kale smoothy with homemade coconut milk. The initial investment is costly, but not in any comparison to some of the higher end products on the market and they do not contain the quality, quantity, and amount of ingredients that mine does.

Where do you buy your powders?

And wanna share your homemade coconut milk wisdom? Recipe? Tips and tricks?

Thanks! I’ve ordered the first one mentioned here, but would be better off making my own mix if the one I order is too acidic. 

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Where do you buy your powders?

And wanna share your homemade coconut milk wisdom? Recipe? Tips and tricks?

Thanks! I’ve ordered the first one mentioned here, but would be better off making my own mix if the one I order is too acidic. 

Most are ordered from Amazon. Many of the greens, seaweeds, and mushrooms are the Microingredients brand. Source Organic premium pea protein and Nutivia Hemp seed protein.  Most of my herbal powders are adaptogens and are from Mountain Rose Herbs.  I also have no problem adding a little of this or that if I come across something that I think my body and family's bodies might appreciate.

My coconut milk is literally 1/3 qt jar full of organic unsweetened coconut chips or shreds with a dash of homemade vanilla and a pinch of Redmonds real salt and hot filter water left to soak for for a few hours (coconut softens-though not necessary) and then blended in my high powered blender and stored back into the qt jars and refrigerated for a few days.  The solids will rise to the top when cold, but I tend to use my coconut milk in smoothies and recipes, rarely do I just drink it.  

Both may not be as "good" as purchased products, but they work extremely well for me, save money, and I know what and how much is in the products.I get very tired of purchased products having a limited amount of the active main ingredient.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AngelaGT said:

Most are ordered from Amazon. Many of the greens, seaweeds, and mushrooms are the Microingredients brand. Source Organic premium pea protein and Nutivia Hemp seed protein.  Most of my herbal powders are adaptogens and are from Mountain Rose Herbs.  I also have no problem adding a little of this or that if I come across something that I think my body and family's bodies might appreciate.

My coconut milk is literally 1/3 qt jar full of organic unsweetened coconut chips or shreds with a dash of homemade vanilla and a pinch of Redmonds real salt and hot filter water left to soak for for a few hours (coconut softens-though not necessary) and then blended in my high powered blender and stored back into the qt jars and refrigerated for a few days.  The solids will rise to the top when cold, but I tend to use my coconut milk in smoothies and recipes, rarely do I just drink it.  

Both may not be as "good" as purchased products, but they work extremely well for me, save money, and I know what and how much is in the products.I get very tired of purchased products having a limited amount of the active main ingredient.  

Do the Microingredients brand of powders have the California Prop 45 warning stickers on the back? I buy many powders and add them to smoothies and have recently gotten the sticker on most of my orders whereas they were not on the older bags (I buy both online and in local stores) and am looking for a brand without those warnings on them.

Also, please share your homemade vanilla recipe! Thank you!

8 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Do the Microingredients brand of powders have the California Prop 45 warning stickers on the back? I buy many powders and add them to smoothies and have recently gotten the sticker on most of my orders whereas they were not on the older bags (I buy both online and in local stores) and am looking for a brand without those warnings on them.

Also, please share your homemade vanilla recipe! Thank you!

My last batch of "greens" was made last summer.  I do not recall if the warning sticker was on it.  I do try to purchase what I think is the highest quality, within financial reason, that I am able to purchase.  I am open to suggestions of other products.

My vanilla recipe is gleaned from perusing other recipes and then tweaking and modifying according to what I have on hand, what my body needs and doesn't need, time, energy, and finances (95% of my creating in my kitchen is intuitive and instinctual).  I have 2 amber bottles-8oz each that I had 5or 6 split Madagascar vanilla beans (ordered from Etsy) and vodka.  Those bottles sat for 1 year in the back of a cupboard.  I now use them interchangeably in recipes.  When they are 1/4 to 1/3 empty I add more vodka.  Every year I add 5 or 6 more split vanilla beans and repeat the process.  My thought is when it is the last year that I am able to stuff any more vanilla beans into the jars, then I will start a fresh batch.  So far so good:)

13 hours ago, AngelaGT said:

My last batch of "greens" was made last summer.  I do not recall if the warning sticker was on it.  I do try to purchase what I think is the highest quality, within financial reason, that I am able to purchase.  I am open to suggestions of other products.

My vanilla recipe is gleaned from perusing other recipes and then tweaking and modifying according to what I have on hand, what my body needs and doesn't need, time, energy, and finances (95% of my creating in my kitchen is intuitive and instinctual).  I have 2 amber bottles-8oz each that I had 5or 6 split Madagascar vanilla beans (ordered from Etsy) and vodka.  Those bottles sat for 1 year in the back of a cupboard.  I now use them interchangeably in recipes.  When they are 1/4 to 1/3 empty I add more vodka.  Every year I add 5 or 6 more split vanilla beans and repeat the process.  My thought is when it is the last year that I am able to stuff any more vanilla beans into the jars, then I will start a fresh batch.  So far so good:)

Thank you for the detailed recipe!

• Like 1

I use Barley Max from Hallelujah Diet. They have original flavor, berry flavor, mint flavor and alfalfa free as well as pill form that you just swallow. Ive been taking it for a while now and have been very happy woth it. They also have a superfoods powder with a variety of vegetables and fruits. Dr. Schultz has a super greens formula in pill form as well.