Menu

After Logic of English

mims

I've been homeschooling for years (older kids are all in their 20's) but I am now working with my 5 year old.  The one weak area the first time around was my Language Arts. I felt it was hit or miss over the years.

My ds is doing amazing with Logic of English, I love it!  He is in level C and really confident in everything he has learned so far.  We will be close to finishing level D by next fall - I think we'll school some during the summer. Where next? I like curriculum that has small, incremental parts that I can use consistently every day. I need hand holding with the writing.  I'm not too concerned about writing next year but I'm looking ahead.   I picture him as a strong reader and he has great handwriting with a fair bit of stamina. I'm trying to think ahead in spelling, writing, grammar, etc. 

Continue to LOE Foundations?  It looks dry and I can't tell how strong the writing is.  I also love diagramming (!) and don't see that coming up. I really haven't found a lot of reviews of this level.

AAS?  I used this with some of the olders.  I sold all my parts and dread buying it all again!  And then I have to figure out writing and grammar.

I'll probably be using Sonlight (I've used that most years) or Beautiful Feet for my history.  I felt Sonlight's Language Art used to be very weak but I would be interested if others think it has improved.

I've used bits and pieces of a lot of things over the year but I would prefer sticking with the same things for at least his grade school years.  We also have the option of a small private classical school in a few years of I go back to work so I want him solid and prepared.

Thanks for all your thoughts!!

We moved from LOE Foundations to Michael Clay Thompson LA + AAS & it has been great! We have added in other composition from time to time (NaNoWriMo, CAP W&R, IEW, Killgallon) but mostly just because we enjoyed doing so & had ample time to go wide / play around with different approaches. 

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2 kids are really feeling like they are "getting somewhere" using Rod and Staff 4 and 5 respectfully this year after years of language lessons for today ....I thought they may be "dry" also, but they are easy to get done, have some writing in them and are straightforward. We are using 5 and 6 next year (1 child in each).

1 of these children is also doing memoria press fable and the other is doing writing strands 3 slowly.. I thought we needed a bit more writing. You could always just assign more across the curriculum, but it was not happening so well here and I wanted some style help ..

We use All About Spelling too. I don't use the tiles really after level 1 or 2, but do like the word cards for word review and the various sheets that come in the student pack of word lists ectra. 

I am trying Cottage Press Language Lessons for children primer 1 for my 2nd grader next year. I want the copy work and oral narration promos. I plan to move over to rod and staff in 4th grade. It seems like a good entry point....

Thank you all!  This is the feedback I wanted so I can start processing what to choose.  I used a little Rod and Staff in the past.  In some ways it was dry but the kids didn't seem to mind and I did see progress.  My memory is that it was really lacking in writing but I will look.  It may be that I just need to plan a different route for writing!  Again, one of my weakest areas in the past.  I also may just have to bite the bullet and buy AAS again!  I know I liked it and it will probably be a good follow up after LOE.  

I can't find hardly any info about people moving on with LOE Essentials after Foundations.  If anyone has feedback on that I would love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

For some reason I don’t find either dry 😂.  Diagramming is so fun.  Dry to me is taking forever to teach a lesson.  They are very concise.

I had to add that this is me to a T!  I have always enjoyed diagramming but please don't make me drag out lessons!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, countrymum said:

You can usually find at least the Teachers manuals of AAS used. The homeschoolclassifides or homeeducatorsresource in TX they are online and only sell nice stuff

I hadn't seen the homeeducators resource before.  I just found something I needed at a good price!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Analytical Grammar is very concise and complete and easy to use for the teacher. I don't use the junior program, just the full program in 6th-8th.

AAS is a good fit too.

We use CAP's Writing & Rhetoric and I find it to be easy to teach from, with a few modifications because it is written for a classroom. It's easy to be consistent and do a little bit each day. It's been great for my strong reader/natural writer. Not sure if my reluctant writer would have appreciated it very much. The reluctant one did IEW and did fine with it, but writing was not her passion.

So he will be young,  6 or 7?  I would use Sonlight with extra readers (real books).  I like Jackris publications for an easy LA workbook.  They have Grammar,  Writing, and Spelling (you may wantbto skip Spelling if he's above grade level).  

If he were a bit older, Mosdos Press can be a good transition.   This can be hard to piece together the right level when they are ahead in reading, but still need age-appropriate content.  

• Like 1