Menu

Book recs for nearly-11-yo boy

I am trying to find some birthday (Wednesday) and Christmas books for him.

Some of his favorite recent books have been:

• The entire Mysterious Benedict Society and Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (read aloud)
  • Percy Jackson series (read to self)
  • Bud and Me (read aloud)
  • Happy Hollisters series (read to self)
  • Farmer Boy (read aloud)
  • Shiloh (read aloud)

He also likes books "about the pioneers," but I can't think of any he's read recently besides Farmer Boy. In the past, he read the first two Ralph Moody books and liked them.

Thanks, Emily

• Like 1

A few that my DSs really loved at that age:
- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- humorous tall-tale-ish adventure of a boy and his valet during the Gold Rush
- Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman (Henry) -- fictionalized biography of the 1700s-1800s inventor as a boy
- Sign of the Beaver (George) -- colonial pioneer boy & Native American boy
- My Side of the Mountain -- boy living off the land on his own
- The Incredible Journey -- 3 pets and their cross-country adventure to rejoin their owners
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase - a Charles Dickens feel to this Victorian times adventure

No personal experience, but maybe:
- Cabin on Trouble Creek (Van Leeuwan) -- pioneer brothers have to survive alone together at the cabin through the winter
- Bound for Oregon (Van Leeuwan) -- pioneer family on the Oregon trail
- Horse Diaries #16: Penny (Sanderson) -- a pinto horse and her boy Jesse during the Gold Rush

Native American adventures, set during or before pioneers
- Children of the Long House (Bruchac) -- Mohawk boy
- Om-Kas-Toe (Thomsama) -- Blackfoot twin brother and sister tame the first horse for their tribe
- Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomsama) -- fictionalized biography of the real friend of Sacajawea who escaped enslavement by a rival Native tribe, and traveled 1,000 miles through the wilderness on her own to return home -- DSs really enjoyed the survival/adventure of this one

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2022 at 6:17 AM, HomeAgain said:

You might try the Richard Peck books, like Here Lies The Librarian, or the Great Brain series.  Both take place around close to the turn of the century (Peck is later, Great Brain earlier), and are pretty heartwarming. 

Thanks for pointing me to Richard Peck. He seems interesting!

On 12/19/2022 at 7:02 AM, 8filltheheart said:

My kids who loved the Mysterious Benedict Society books have also really enjoyed the Green Ember series, Explorer Academy series, Redwall series, Mark of a Thief series, Vega Jane series, and Harry Potter.

Great idea! He's enjoying Percy Jackson right now, so Green Ember and Harry Potter that might be good next books. I think Redwall might be too much.

@Lori D. Your lists are always super useful!

My Side of the Mountain was a favorite a few years ago. I have no clue why some books are "easy enough" and others aren't. Sigh. He loved it.

At that age my kids all loved Homer Price and Centerburg Tales, both by Robert McCloskey.  Also The Twenty-One Balloons, by William Pene du Bois. 

Richard Peck is great.

The FunJungle series, by Stuart Gibbs, has been a huge hit in this house, with many many rereads, not to mention extensive discussions.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 2