Menu

Last baby… I want super fun.

Nm.

He is 3..
I have heart of Dakota LHTH… so preachy 😳

bfiar (been using this for two years… but I do not do a ton of activities.. or any)

Is there anything else?  I like book based with activities that are easy to follow through (and aren’t re-enacting bible stories). I want scheduled mother goose type rhymes (but not bible rhymes).

I would love letter of the week type themes… that aren’t bible infused. 

Edited by Lovinglife123

2 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Is MFW preschool any good?? That might be close to what I want. I don’t mind a book basket.

MFW preschool is super cute. My only problem was my son didn't like coloring and there is a lot of coloring. It was too much cutting for me when I had a kid who wasn't thrilled with the activity. I also didn't like the storybook Bible they used. It was a lot of commentary vs just the story for me. Other than the storybook Bible they chose the rest of the books were wonderful. It's what I wish my homeschool could look like but my eldest didn't cooperate.

• Like 1

Just now, Lovinglife123 said:

Love the looks of wee folk art- and FREE

The first editions are free.

There were a few books we could not find while doing it.  If they were the non-fiction supplements, I just picked equivalent ones.  If they were the reader for the week, I peeked through the crafts and talked through with the librarian what we were looking for to find a similar book.  Oh, and ds wasn't into Flower Fairies.  We did nursery rhymes and simple poems instead.

14 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Hmmm is there a really good nursery rhyme / poetry book for littles??  

I'm not sure!  Maybe someone else can chime in!

Most old readers or books you already have may have a selection.  UnderTheHome.org schedules nursery rhymes in Kindergarten, with 5 activities for each one (listen, narrate, color a picture, act it out, create art), so that's an option.

I just went with ones I knew: Mother Goose, Robert Louis Stevenson, Emily Dickinson, Christina G. Rossetti.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

@HomeAgain
Is there a big difference between free and updated ? Weefolkart

Also, did you use explode the code ABC with it?  He just turned 3.

Updated is cleaner looking and has a slightly different booklist to remove the ones out of print.  My old files are printed out and in vinyl covers, so it wasn't that big of a deal for us.  I think the last one, either Puddles & Ponds or the summer one was more sparse in general.

We actually used Developing The Early Learner with it.  I had a slightly older kid (4) and he was the only kid I knew who did Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons in just about 100 days.  We started that right after he turned 4 and then Wee Folk Art later.

At 3, we were still just playing games every/puzzles day for sound and visual discrimination, doing poetry and music and art together, working on basic motor skills.  DTEL books continued the discrimination games and added a little bit of early writing.

Edited by HomeAgain
edited for clarity
  • Like 2

Yes I know he definitely just needs to do puzzles and read books.. maybe I’ll just have to create my own heart of Dakota layout and put the activities in there for me to remember.  Developing the early learner sounds neat, I’ll check that out!

I have Wee Folk Art. I am going to do in next year when my girl is 4. I think 4 or even 5 is a bit better for all the activities. I have done it before...love it.

I also really like A Year of Playing Skillfully. Some people do not. It is definitely open ended play centered. I do not love all the language and literacy options either, but it is fun and what I'm pulling from when I can for dd3 right now. I have also used it before.

• Like 1

Well, I liked The Good and the Beautiful Preschool curriculum, fun stuff but super easy for mom to do. There are games, songs and letter sound videos to watch too, but again its very easy to use and you don't do all those things every day. Its honestly the best I've used for my 5 kids thus far.

• Like 1

When you mentioned nursery rhymes, you made me think of Gentle + Classical Preschool. The teaching guide is free to download on her website. I love looking at it. It has a lot of different components but seems easy to pick and choose. It’s Christian but not in that awful, forced, tacky way that I completely understand what you are describing.

With my 2 year old son, I’ve been working my way through the Memoria Press preschool program with him just for fun since he’s my oldest. It’s basically just reading a wonderful, toddler oriented book, and doing a developmentally appropriate activity. It’s easy, takes like ten minutes, and we love it! He can’t do everything the guide talks about and that’s ok. We’ve read lots of wonderful books together already. 

I also recommend the Kumon workbooks. They’ve been a gentle way to introduce some fine motor skills. The sticker ones are a big hit here, especially.

Finally, I have a friend who is doing Playing Preschool with her 3 year old daughter and they love it. 

Edited by GoodnightMoogle
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 3:28 PM, Momof3sweetgirls said:

Maybe too simple but I like Playing Preschool by Busy Toddler. It has a poem, song and letter of the week. A themed booklist and daily activity.

I forgot about this one! It is a really fun program and we got most of the books at the library!

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 7:55 PM, Lovinglife123 said:

Is MFW preschool any good?? That might be close to what I want. I don’t mind a book basket.

It is excellent.  MFW combined with Sonlight list is what I do for my youngers and it is amazing.  I add in Rod and Staff and CLE workbooks for the preschool to k stage and it is a simple fun program.  MFW for the daily activities and fun programs, Sonlight for a daily 30 minutes read aloud period.  Rod and Staff and CLE for a 15 minute seat work period.

Blessings,

Brenda

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, Nm. said:

He is 3...
... I like book based with activities that are easy to follow through (and aren’t re-enacting bible stories). I want scheduled mother goose type rhymes...

I would love letter of the week type themes… 

Coming VERY late to this thread, and you probably already found what you wanted, BUT... Brightly Beaming website has free lesson plans for Letter of the Week.

Plus:
Sound of the Week
Story of the Week
Science of the Week (using the Let's Read and Find Out About Science book series)
Country of the Week (which includes book ideas)

Plus: booklists

Plus:
Toddler lesson plans, that include nursery rhymes, children's songs, indoor/outdoor games, and much more
Preschool lesson plans, that include nursery rhymes, numbers, letters, colors/shapes, and much more

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1