Menu

Rudeness bingo?

Laura Corin

Anyone fancy trying to count the ways in which this woman was rude? 

I went to a choral concert this evening  - just three performers in a church that only seats about 100, so the performers were really close. Next to me was an empty seat, then beyond that a woman who coughed continually into her hand - unmasked - and snuffled in a tissue throughout.  The performance was just unaccompanied voice.

In random testing around one in fifty Scots have Covid right now. I'm up to five distinct areas of rudeness. Anyone else?  She was about my age.

• Sad 12

2 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

OK Covid exposure possibility is one level of rudeness. But even pre-pandemic, if sick one should not mingle in crowded public spaces.  And then of course rude to both musicians and audience to not step out when disrupting a performance with all kind of coughing and mucus shuffling. Gross. 

Yes. All that. Plus - risking the singers' livelihood by bringing all that into their proximity and risking their catching it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eos said:

So sorry - and I'm guessing that you have probably been avoiding/forgoing all kinds of lovely concert options as we "emerge" from covid.  To have this happen when you venture back, grrr.

I've been going back slowly, in a really well-fitted mask. Another person in the audience was turning around between pieces, giving the woman Paddington stares, to no avail.

• Sad 1

Rude. 

I have been in a similar position precovid. An adult child was performing and I had a cough (not from a virus) that would not stop. I was desperately trying everything I could to tame it so I could go and not be disruptive. I finally found relief using a combination of things and was able to go. I would have skipped had I not found relief.

Now? I wouldn't dream of going anywhere when the full blown coughing fits hit. I know they are not covid, that doesn't mean that others will not be uncomfortable.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Anyone fancy trying to count the ways in which this woman was rude? 

I went to a choral concert this evening  - just three performers in a church that only seats about 100, so the performers were really close. Next to me was an empty seat, then beyond that a woman who coughed continually into her hand - unmasked - and snuffled in a tissue throughout.  The performance was just unaccompanied voice.

In random testing around one in fifty Scots have Covid right now. I'm up to five distinct areas of rudeness. Anyone else?  She was about my age.

Let’s see, in the setting of a small concert hall she:

1 - coughed

2- continually

3- into her hand 

4- Snuffed in a tissue

5- throughout

Gross. 

• Like 1