Menu

No thread about Adnan Syed’s murder conviction being vacated?

pinball

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/19/us/adnan-syed-conviction-vacate/index.html

My heart aches for the Lee family and all the victims of domestic violence

https://people.com/crime/hae-min-lee-family-statement-after-adnan-syed-murder-conviction-vacated/

Steve Kelly, a lawyer for the Lee family, spoke outside of the courthouse, saying, "We are disappointed that today's hearing happened so quickly with, unfortunately, no notice and that the court acted the way it did and that the prosecutor's office made the recommendation the way that they did. This family is interested in the pursuit of justice. They want to know more than anybody who it was that killed Hae Min Lee," the outlet reports.

• Like 1

Hmm, interesting. I don't know a lot about this case. I would be interested in hearing the views of those who do. 

Looks like his DNA was not found at the scene, but a friend testified he helped bury Lee's body? And that there were two other suspects not disclosed to the defense, one of whom had threatened to kill Lee?

I followed this very closely when Serial was first released and then listened to several spin-off podcasts.  It has been awhile so I cannot remember all of the details but I know that I mostly felt walking away from all of it was that he was likely innocent, there had never been enough credible proof to call him guilty within a reasonable doubt, and that many MANY mistakes were made from the time of his arrest all the way up to now.  I may have to go back and review.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I followed this very closely when Serial was first released and then listened to several spin-off podcasts.  It has been awhile so I cannot remember all of the details but I know that I mostly felt walking away from all of it was that he was likely innocent, there had never been enough credible proof to call him guilty within a reasonable doubt, and that many MANY mistakes were made from the time of his arrest all the way up to now.  I may have to go back and review.  

Same for me. It’s been so long since I listened to Serial. I have vague memories of conflicted feelings, like I wasn’t certain he was innocent, but also not convinced there was enough evidence to convict. I’d have to re-listen and learn more about other possible suspects they are now saying weren’t investigated before I form any firm opinion on this release. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Yeah, that's always been my take (and I also am just going on having listened when it first came out). I came away thinking he probably didn't do it, but that even if you think he probably DID do it, it's very hard to argue that there's no reasonable doubt. 

• Like 6

Serial was my introduction to podcasts and I clung to every word. Then I started listening to wrongful conviction podcasts and following innocence projects, and then ran across Rabia Chaudry. Undisclosed was a must deeper dive than Serial.   And I no longer had faith in some convictions. 
I’m glad it was overturned, because Brady violations really bother me.  

I feel for the Lee family also. It’s been hard for them every single day since they lost Hae. But it’s not justice if the wrong person is incarcerated for her murder. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

I came away thinking he probably did do it, but there was likely reasonable doubt. Not turning over evidence of other credible suspects is very bad prosecutorial behavior. I doubt we’ll see any prosecution of anyone now. It’s so sad for her family. 

I thought he was involved in her murder but I think the friend had more involvement than admitted. Her family I feel for them.  All their wounds are ripped open again.  I too feel they will never see any justice for her.  

14 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I thought he was involved in her murder but I think the friend had more involvement than admitted. Her family I feel for them.  All their wounds are ripped open again.  I too feel they will never see any justice for her.  

I don’t think Jay had anything to do with Hae’s murder. I think it was false confession caused by police coercion. One of the officers recording Jay’s interview was also involved with another murder conviction in Baltimore being overturned because of his coercion of the ‘witness’.
 I do feel for her family because even though they can never leave this chapter behind, having the wound ripped open has to be unbearably difficult for them.  I have hope that the investigation will shed more light onto the two suspects mentioned in last week’s court filing.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

https://apnews.com/article/adnan-syed-serial-podcast-court-ruling-0950d68b8b2807c4bbdf069824b5ad49

A Maryland appellate court on Tuesday reinstated Adnan Syed’s murder conviction and ordered a new hearing in the case, marking the latest development in the protracted legal odyssey chronicled in the hit podcast “Serial.”

Though Syed’s conviction has been reinstated, he will not immediately be taken back into custody.

In a 2-1 decision released Tuesday, the Appellate Court of Maryland ruled a lower court failed to give sufficient notice to the victim’s family when it scheduled the September hearing that vacated Syed’s conviction and allowed him to regain his freedom after more than two decades behind bars.

The intermediate court’s order does not go into effect for 60 days, which delays any immediate consequences and allows the parties time to decide whether to appeal and schedule upcoming proceedings accordingly.

Syed’s attorney Erica Suter said they will ask the state supreme court to review the case…

Baltimore prosecutors moved to vacate Syed’s conviction in September after they reviewed the case and found alternative suspects and unreliable evidence used at trial. The lower court then quickly scheduled a hearing on the state’s motion to vacate.

………

This is a concerning precedent. I understand that the victim’s brother was not able to be at the hearing, but did not feel that had any bearing on the facts of the hearing. Had he been there, would the decision have been different? if so, how?  They gave him the option to be there via zoom.  
I wish they hadn’t rushed the hearing, but reversing the decision doesn’t seem fair to Adnan.

• Like 1