Menu

Urgent Advice for FL family; 6 y o w/ Autism & ADHD kicked out of school today

RioSamba

Hello! I have been away from this community for a long time, but when an acquaintance approached me for help, I knew the most knowledgeable and caring parents would be here. 

Today a six year old little boy was tossed out of school on his first day. The school, https://broachschool.com/, says they "just aren't equipped" to deal with him despite supposedly specializing in just that. His parents are heartsick and overwhelmed. The family lives in Jacksonville, and the school is private but accepts a variety of state program money. I know a bit about public schools, IEPs 504s, FAPE. But I am not in FL and have zero idea what resources might be available to navigate this situation.

If anyone can share information, I would be so thankful.

It’s common for special needs schools to exclude behavior issues. 

I am sorry, I hope they can get some help.  

But I think that if there are behavior issues, beyond a bad adjustment period or first day, I think there’s a lot to be said for looking for a placement that is going to be equipped to help with behavior issues.  There is hope there but it can take special training for people to be equipped to help kids.

There’s no guarantee but a lot of behavior-focused programs have a goal (or likelihood) of kids transferring after 3 years.

I hope this child’s needs can be met.  I think a special needs advocate is a good idea.

I’m not in Florida so I don’t know anything specific.  

Good luck, though, I hope they find a good program or that an advocate can help them.  

• Like 2

Are there any Facebook groups about autism in your area?  It comes up on local Facebook groups here.

Maybe they could join a group and ask.

If there’s not time for that, yeah, I think that is a good idea.  

When they call, ask about experience related to their own issues.  

• Like 2

This is my honest experience.

My son had “problem behaviors” and kind, well-meaning people could not help him.  

People with specialized training and a heart for children with problem behaviors, could help him.  

People who were also kind and well-meaning, and also had a masters degree level of experience with kids with problem behaviors.

For my son, as much as I wish being kind-hearted and well-meaning was all it took for my son, but that was not reality for us.

My son did ABA therapy and made a lot of strides.  That’s not right for everyone, but there are people, in various fields, who are called to work with children with behavior issues, and that is who kids need to be with, I believe.

Some people had dyslexia or ADHD and wanted to grow up to help kids with dyslexia or ADHD, and that is a real need, too.  But those people are called and prepared to work with a different type and level of behavior issue.

I do think if people know they don’t have the training, experience, or capability to work with some issues, they are doing an ethical thing to say they can’t ethically work with these kids while other people can.  

I think that is how it can be with private schools.  

I am sorry this happened, though.

And if the school over-reacted to a first day that would have gotten better with a little nurturing and care, that is pretty disappointing, and I’m sorry that happened.

• Like 2

I don't know all of the specifics, but ADHD and autism are specialties for the school and they have a program which is for "pronounced disabilities." Apparently they are now asking the parents for an IEP evaluation and saying maybe he can come back- but it is a private school and they have extremely extensive evaluations already. I just feel so badly for them and their kiddo.

• Sad 2

I'm sorry this happened. I agree with Lecka that even schools for people with disabilities can be limited in the scope of what they can handle. When we were researching schools for my kids, I found it so discouraging that so many schools would not be able to help a particular one of my kids. He needed the most help, and it was hardest to find it. Very discouraging.

But I agree that it's likely best that this child have an IEP evaluation, if they intend for him to be enrolled in a school. So that is a good step to take and is a good suggestion on the school's part. The public school where the family lives is the school that will do the evaluation (not the private school). Once an IEP is in place, it should outline clearly what kind of intervention the child needs, and then the parents and school can have more guidance about what will be best for him.

It's so discouraging for this family and this little boy. I'm sorry that it happened.

I agree that they should hire a parent advocate for the IEP process. We have one now, after years of navigating the process on our my own, and I wish I had gotten one earlier. For a difficult situation like they are in, an advocate is a really good idea.

We found our advocate by first calling a special needs attorney, who referred us to an advocate. In addition to googling for advocates in their area, they might ask an attorney's office who they would recommend. They can also call the public school and ask for names of advocates that other parents in that school system have used.

They should know that they have to pay an advocate. There may be some who work pro bono, but I would expect to pay.

I don't think private schools, even when they accept public funding, are required to provide an education for any given child. The public school district the child resides in IS required to provide an education that is both free and appropriate for him. That is where an education advocate can help with figuring out an appropriate placement and appropriate supports.

I think Florida is a state where they have disability scholarships that can be used at private schools.  But then the private schools are still private schools and aren’t obligated to accept everyone.

But just to say — they can bus you away from your home school in public school, too.  There’s nothing that says your child is going to go to the same school as siblings and neighbors, or even in the same community.  

We chose where we lived one time based on living in the home school zone for the program we knew my son would be in.