Menu

Getting off of snail mail mailing lists

DawnM

What is the best way to do this?   I am hearing that if you write return to sender, the letters often end up tossed at the post office.  

My dad is on so many mailing lists and I need it to stop.   I don't have time to call all these places and my dad has no online log ins or anything, my dad never did any financial anything online.

Is there a simple way to get off the lists?

If it comes with a return envelope then return the portion with his name "no longer at this address" (like Laura said!)

Many things have an email address.  Still a pain but easier than phoning.

With mailings it will take a couple cycles to stop.

Also, once a name and address is out there new stuff can be generated when an old list is sold.  I get my late sister's mail and new stuff still arrives.

Certain types of mail will be returned but afaik not bulk mail type things.  If the post office tosses something it's because it isn't something they're able to return.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

I know you don't want to call, but when we moved in to my deceased in-laws house, I found the best way was to call and tell them that the person was dead. Since most of the mail was for my fil, that evoked some sympathy and action bc they assumed I was the widow.

Laura's suggestion of the postage paid envelope was also helpful, but I would write deceased.

• Like 2

Thanks all.

I pulled a small stack of about 5 of them, opened them and am using the return envelopes to get him off the list.    We will see if they all have these or what else I need to do.

I circled his name on the form letter and put next to it:  deceased, please remove from list

• Like 1

I followed the instruction on this page for my parents and it worked like a charm:

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-stop-junk-mail

Also - are there any charitable contributions on auto draft that you need to look at? I did contact one charity they were contributing to and asked them to stop the automatic drafts. They agreed to do so immediately and didn't ask for details.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I followed the instruction on this page for my parents and it worked like a charm:

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-stop-junk-mail

Also - are there any charitable contributions on auto draft that you need to look at? I did contact one charity they were contributing to and asked them to stop the automatic drafts. They agreed to do so immediately and didn't ask for details.

thanks, I will try that.

No auto drafts, thankfully.

• Like 1

I do this at work. Sometimes people call to be removed from the mailing list, or to update a name on the list, and I do I immediately when I get off the phone. If the mail the request it could be delayed in the mail and they might get another flyer before it stops/changes. 

• Like 2