Menu

Job suggestions for someone with lung damage

klmama

A friend had severe covid a year ago and continues to have lung damage.  She'd love to work again, but she can't go back to her former job (phone customer service rep) because of poor lung capacity.  She needs a job that doesn't require her to talk much or lift things, walk around a lot, etc.  Part time would be fine.  I told her I'd try to come up with some ideas.  Do you have any suggestions I could share with her?  Maybe something that she could do via computer that wouldn't require much talking?  

• Sad 3

Data entry, transcribing. My aunt transcribed court cases, she has retired. A friend used to do close captioning as a temp.

Can your friend translate? Some firms hire temps to translate user manuals (quick start guides) from English to other languages.

Proofreading for foreign students. Those would tend to be temp assignments. An ex-classmate proofreads the thesis of his client who is an ESL. The client just need my ex-classmate to check grammar and spelling as well as give advice if something is not written clearly.  

• Like 2

General administration.  In my organisation there are lots of backroom jobs that are largely silent and sedentary.  I work in a university. One of my colleagues is living with obesity and can only walk with difficulty. She also has limited lung capacity. She is highly respected. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1