Menu

Super Controversial Topic: Friends (the TV show) isn't actually very funny...

Ann.without.an.e

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

It never was funny.  Their are a lot of popular shows and movies that I don't find funny though.  Covid finally got us so we've been watching a lot of TV and movies.  Decided to watch Napoleon Dynamite because of all the recommendations of it being hilarious we all hated it.

I don't think it's aga their are plenty of shows and movies from the 70's and 80's that are fantastic.  My teens will sit and watch Golden Girls all day with me.

I've been watching Golden Girls and I am surprised at how mean they were to each other.  I didn't catch that the first time around when I was a kid.

6 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I've been watching Golden Girls and I am surprised at how mean they were to each other.  I didn't catch that the first time around when I was a kid.

There’s a difference between mean and sarcastic/pointed. They were often and typically sarcastic/pointed. For me, that was empowering and refreshing. They weren’t nice for the sake of being nice and still had wonderful relationships as women. Those are the personal relationships I have/treasure today. My mother grew up being taught that politesse and ‘niceness’/likability was the goal for women and girls. She tried to make us all conform. It served her poorly/didn’t fit her personality, intelligence, or strengths. It was even less effective and helpful for her kids.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

There’s a difference between mean and sarcastic. They were often and typically sarcastic. For me, that was empowering and refreshing. They weren’t nice for the sake of being nice and still had wonderful relationships.

Yes, and they really loved each other. They were all there when one of them needed them to be there.

• Like 2

I never watched it when it was on, but I think it used to come on immediately after Seinfeld (??) so I would see the first joke. The first joke was always so ridiculous and purposely gross (I remember one about umbilical cords and what could be done with it 🤢). At least it seemed ridiculous to me at the time. Shows now are way beyond that now as far as gross/inappropriate, I’m sure. I’ve seen a few episodes in reruns fairly recently when just looking to kill some time. Just decided it wasn’t worth it. Another vote for not funny. 

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

There’s a difference between mean and sarcastic/pointed. They were often and typically sarcastic/pointed. For me, that was empowering and refreshing. They weren’t nice for the sake of being nice and still had wonderful relationships as women. Those are the personal relationships I have/treasure today. My mother grew up being taught that politesse and ‘niceness’/likability was the goal for women and girls. She tried to make us all conform. It served her poorly/didn’t fit her personality, intelligence, or strengths. It was even less effective and helpful for her kids.

Funnily enough, I can actually tell the difference and am a fairly blunt person myself, so am not really a fan of the idea women must be 'sweet & nice' to be likeable. Sometimes they are sarcastic and pointed. Some of the time they are downright mean. Especially to Rose, but the Sophia character gets away with being mean to all of them with the "old lady who has lost her filter" stereotype.

It's not in every episode, but not every episode stays on this side of the sarcastic line.

• Like 1

There's real life and there is entertainment. Sitcoms are absolutely entertainment,  and characters being nice and thoughtful in a comedy show is boring,  unless they are extremely talented. Most actors aren't,  so the writers need to help out the actors and the audience by providing the easy laughs. 

Mork and Mindy is an example of this. Robin Williams was incredibly talented, and everyone else on the show just helped move the situation along. That's my take on TV sitcoms. The rare show has multiple brilliant comedians.

• Like 1