Menu

Anyone speak Italian?

Amethyst

I’m not Italian. My husband’s family is. Growing up, his mom would talk to other family members in Italian when they didn’t want the kids to know what they were saying. Or there were a few sayings that the kids became familiar with. But there is no one left in his family to ask what they mean. 

One of those sayings I find myself saying a lot lately (see worst stage of parenting thread) and I’m curious how to spell it, or if they are anywhere close to pronouncing it right. The saying is roughly translated to “What can you do?” as in <shrug> eh, these things happen, what can you do about it?

It sounds like “gichi hi”. Does this sound like any Italian phrase that you know? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Perhaps you mean "Che fai?"

Literally "what do you do?", and also used in the sense you describe.

Pronounced kind of like  Keh fahi ( you can Google the sound)

Thanks. I played the pronunciation for dh. It doesn’t sound at all like what his brothers and sisters all say, but dh said it does sort of sound like what the gown ups used to say. So maybe that’s it. Thanks

Our old Italian neighbours used to say that constantly and also such is the life of something similar. I have come across some of their sayings in Italian books/podcasts, so I’m assuming these would be similar. My Italian is limited to duo and self taught so basic. Che cosa fai? Is common and roughly translates to that.

Edited by Ausmumof3

What part of Italy is his family from? Which generation came here? Although there's official Italian they still speak dialect in many regions. Depending on when his family arrived it's quite possible they only spoke their dialect. I'm taking Italian lessons and my teacher is from Rome. She's teaching us standard Italian but it's not what my great grandparents spoke when they came here from the Naples area. 

Different dialects had/still have different sayings and different pronunciations. They're not mutually intelligible. Knowing which dialect or if it's standard Italian might help your search. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2