Menu

Put yourself in the head of a 3 year old....

You really want a bunny for Christmas.

You tell everyone that you ARE getting a bunny for Christmas. A real, live, pink, bunny (the pink comes from an aunt's attempt to sway you over to the side of a stuffed pink bunny.)

Your parents hate pets, but this aunt has a farm and lots of animals. She has volunteered to let your parents get you a pet bunny(not pink) and keep it at her place. You can name it and visit it a few times a month. Your aunt has already gotten you the previously mentioned pink bunny that you can take home and keep on your bed.

Would you be happy with the bunny arrangement or upset that you didn't get to keep your bunny at your own house?

my current 3 yr old would "get it", but still miss having a pet at home.

I foresee the asking of a pet at home until she gets one.

I remember before we had pets, my 2nd son when that age would stuff rolly pollies, crickets, snakes, you name it in his pockets, call them his pets, forget them until I did laundry and pulled heaven only knows what remains out of the dryer. At which point I became a masss murderer and the tears would set in.

Personally I think pets are a requirement of childhood if at all possible and can't imagine a childhood without a pet of some sort or even many sorts! Not even a fish?? Not even a seasonal critter cage of sorts on the back patio? Keep in mind, I grew up in a zoo, so my pov is more than slightly skewed on this issue.;)

[color="RoyalBlue"]Go for it. Explain to her that bunnies need to live in the country[/color]

. This is the plan.

It would frustrate the heck out of my 3 year old.
That's what I'm afraid of.

Personally I think pets are a requirement of childhood if at all possible and can't imagine a childhood without a pet of some sort or even many sorts! Not even a fish?? Not even a seasonal critter cage of sorts on the back patio?
We love nature.....out in nature. :D We go visit the aunt with the farm and play with her pets, feed her horses apples, watch her chickens lay eggs on the porch and her goats climb her steps....then we go home.

I'd try to switch "bunny" for guinea pig...(bunnies cousin) and let her have it at home. They are easy to keep, about 5 yrs commitment ( I think) and you can let them go in an enclosure in nice weather. But, that's coming from someone who loves pets. My mom wasn't into them...and I kinda think...that some kids really need pets. Maybe yours is one of those kids...especially if you don't have a cat or a dog..... I can't imagine raising my kids without any pets... kinda sad:-( BUT, that being said...if you don't want one...and can't get one....the farm sounds like a good place to have a bunny. Introduce the fact that it's hers for at the farm from before she gets it.

Good Luck!

Carrie:-)

My youngest is 4, but he wouldn't get it.

Instead of being a great present it would be the present Mommy took away. He would be heart broken and then ask about visiting the bunny. Daily. Multiple times every day. For months. And cry every time I said not today.

I would not do this!

The explanation of bunnies needing to be in the country is a good idea. It might keep him from accidentally hurting bunny too since he would not be handling it daily (bunnies are kind of fragile not like dogs and cats).

My 3 year old would be frustrated at first, but as long as he got to see it a few times a month he would be happy. My little guy gets tired of things fast anyway, so within a week or so the novelty of owning a bunny would wear off.

I would only do this if the actual present is given to the three-year old at the farm, and not at your home.

:iagree:If the bunny has his house, friends, etc at the farm it would be easier for the kiddo to understand the bunny has to stay at the farm. The pink bunny at home is a great idea. Give both bunnies the same name.

I would only do this if the actual present is given to the three-year old at the farm, and not at your home.

My sister (the aunt) only lives a couple of miles from my parents, where we will be going for Christmas. We could easily drive over to her place. I might not even stress the fact that it's dd's bunny. I could just say that she can name it and go visit it whenever she wants.

I think it would work, but I would let her help to make the bunny home.

Make sure the first time she sees the bunny it is at the aunts house. ONLY the aunts house. Let her put the water dish in (have the aunt take it out before you get there) and let her put the food dish in. Let her close the door and latch it. Show her how to clean the area around the cage so she really understands that this is the bunny's home. Take some pictures of the bunny ahead of time, so she can take a photo album home with her the same day, and take pictures of her with the bunny so you can get the developed or process at home asap to add to it.

Before hand it may be a good idea to go over the concepts of 'places and people'. Like firemen work at a firehouse, police men work at the police station, and lifeguards at the pool. Once she gets that then move into fish in the ocean and streams, deer in the forest, squirrels in the trees, horses and bunnies in the country, little girls and pink bunnies in houses. Try to teach her ahead of time, where bunnies are happiest. This may or may not help you, but it has helped for our dd who was animal crazy with a mom who is not.

You could even go so far as make a paper game of it. Draw a picture of aunties farm, including corrals and fences. along with pictures of the animals there or on neighboring farms. Add squirrels to the forest areas (if there is such and area) and birds to the trees. Horses, goats, sheep, ducks .... whatever she has seen. Let her place the animals in the proper place so that she can play with the farm. Then add the bunnies enclosure but no bunny. Ask her what could go there, if she says bunnies, remind her that auntie doesn't have a bunny. She if she comes up with the solution by herself that the bunny she wants could live there. If not guide the conversation that way. If she doesn't come up with this right away don't nudge too hard, let her take a couple of days or so, with just very gentle nudges "hmmm, auntie would like a bunny, but she knows they are a lot of work and she would need some help..." "Auntie sure loves bunnies a lot, but she doesn't have a bunny of her own, I wonder if she could borrow a bunny?"

If she comes up with the idea her self, she will be much more likely to go with it.

If you decide to go for it, I would make a special bunny visit calendar with about a month on it. Then make the days you are going to visit the bunny. That way she can make 'x' marks on the days until she can see her again.

Good luck! I hope you are successful!

Tap