Menu

Help- I do not understand DE credits

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

My slower DS16 thrives on two DE classes per quarter. The quarter system was better for him because it doesn’t feel so drag out and the finals cover less stuff versus the finals for a semester class. Quarter is about 12 weeks and semester is about 16 weeks locally.

all depends on the school. Some schools cover the same amount of material that is designed for a semester class in a 9 week quarter. 

• Like 1

Some scholarships require 15 hours a semester,  and lots if degree plans include an elective or two that don't have to be as rigorous.   I try to help my kids find a good balance that still gives them free time, friend time, clubs and extra opportunities time.  It can take a while to work it all out. 

The hour number really has more to do with the rigorous classes than a class number imo.  For example a premed student who is taking Bio and Chem for majors (8-10 hours total) should probably take one other main class, and an elective-, like English 1 and an art class (6 hours total).  If the struggle or are worried,  maybe 2 lighter classes.  

Next year my Sr will take Chrm 1 for majors, English 2, and 2 more classes in the fall.  I think it totals 14 hours.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, Aloha2U said:

Have you considered the CLEP route (instead of DE or AP) for Math and Chemistry and... ?

I haven't really. I'm not particularly looking for college credit for him. The AP classes for my oldest were mostly because he wanted to challenge himself with the harder classes and it seemed like it made sense to also take the tests. My middle son would do DE more to have classes outside the home and to have classes in a group setting. He hates the idea of studying something just for a test so I think CLEP would not work for him. 

On 4/30/2022 at 5:34 PM, Arcadia said:

My slower DS16 thrives on two DE classes per quarter. The quarter system was better for him because it doesn’t feel so drag out and the finals cover less stuff versus the finals for a semester class. Quarter is about 12 weeks and semester is about 16 weeks locally.
For ADHD, the community colleges’ disability office tends to handle better than my local school districts. 

Thanks! Yes, he has struggled with Math not because he can't do it but because he finds it boring and just has to do it. He was doing a self-paced program because I thought that would be good for him. But it gave him no motivation to get it done. I've realized he has to either have some kind of external pressure to get something done if it's boring, some kind of motivating factor (like Driver's Ed or lifeguarding- both of which he got done this year because he wanted the end result) or if he is really interested in it he will self-study and immerse himself or spend a lot of time hyperfocusing on an interest/skill. I think what I've realized is that something like "because you ultimately want to go to college and you need this class" is not enough of an external pressure/motivating factor. It needs to be more immediate or he gets bored. We switched to a fast-paced Math class this  semester and he is doing very well. Although it's more work, he finds it less onerous as he isn't bored and it doesn't drag out past his attention span. 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, Clemsondana said:

You might also struggle to get those weird requirements that some states have - health, personal finance, PE, etc.  And, for courses that you only need a 1/2 credit of (gov/econ) that wouldn't be an option.  

Do you live in a state where these types of classes are required for homeschoolers? We homeschooled in three different states, and the public school graduation requirements did not impose this type of course requirement on homeschoolers. I have seen some states get very specific with the subject areas that have to be covered by homeschoolers, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I also haven't seen that colleges care much if a homeschooler has PE, health, or personal finance on their transcript. [I don't think they care if a traditionally schooled student has them either, for that matter. This is one reason may colleges recalculate gpa to their own in house formula that only includes courses in core courses.]

• Like 2

Adding about CLEP since it came up... it can be a good way to knock out some credits if your kid is almost certainly bound for a particular school that you know takes them, but as a way of showing rigor, it's not as good as DE or AP courses.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Do you live in a state where these types of classes are required for homeschoolers? We homeschooled in three different states, and the public school graduation requirements did not impose this type of course requirement on homeschoolers. I have seen some states get very specific with the subject areas that have to be covered by homeschoolers, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I also haven't seen that colleges care much if a homeschooler has PE, health, or personal finance on their transcript. [I don't think they care if a traditionally schooled student has them either, for that matter. This is one reason may colleges recalculate gpa to their own in house formula that only includes courses in core courses.]

In my state, it is not the government, but umbrella schools, that often have these requirements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Agreeing with @ScoutTN since we are likely in the same state based on her name.  🙂  In this state many (most?) use umbrellas because it's an easy way to manage state testing requirements.  If a kid participates in a public school activity (like a sport) that can also add specific requirements.  Most of the umbrellas require those classes to graduate.  I don't know that colleges care, but for at least one large state U that my kid is considering they are listed on the 'incoming students usually take' list, likely because it's a graduation requirement in that state.  And, some colleges do want the 1/2 credits of gov and econ, which may not be offered as anything other than full 3-hour 1 credit classes at a college.  

• Like 1