Menu

Latin has Morphed into French!

Green Bean

As I said in my Latin thread, the kids voted French! I have MP First Start French Bk 1 to get us going per DD puck. I know about ULAT, but I don’t feel immersive teaching is going to be best here. They are also playing on Duolingo and watching favorite shows in French with English subtitles to get an ear for it. Being Texas, our libraries have loads of Spanish but no French storybooks.

What else have y’all used? 

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

We haven't started yet. Here's my plan.

Year 1, Semester 1: FF Pronunciation Guide, GSWF, Earworm French

Year 1, Semester 2: GSWF, Duolingo

Year 2, Semester 1: First 1/3 of French For Children A, ULAT units 1-2, Duolingo

Year 2, Semester 2: Second 1/3 of French For Children A, ULAT units 3-4, Duolingo

Year 3, Semester 1: Final 1/3 of French For Children A, ULAT units 5-6, Duolingo, French literature TBD

Year 3, Semester 2: First 1/3 of French For Children B, ULAT units 7-8, Duolingo, French literature TBD

Year 4, Semester 1: Second 1/3 of French For Children B, ULAT units 9-10, Duolingo, French literature TBD

Year 4, Semester 2: Final 1/3 of French For Children B, final project TBD

Alternatively, I know a student who became proficient through The Potter's School.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spirea said:

How old are your kids? Our library has Little Pim, and it is good for younger kids. Have you looked at Talk Box Mom? I bought a Spanish box but never used it since we were past that level. The cards and posters were nice though.

I'm planning to soon get Getting Started With French. I'd just like for us to have decent pronunciation with French references in literature. I hope it will get us there

Middle school ability level and a 5 yr old.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

We haven't started yet. Here's my plan.

Year 1, Semester 1: FF Pronunciation Guide, GSWF, Earworm French

Year 1, Semester 2: GSWF, Duolingo

Year 2, Semester 1: First 1/3 of French For Children A, ULAT units 1-2, Duolingo

Year 2, Semester 2: Second 1/3 of French For Children A, ULAT units 3-4, Duolingo

Year 3, Semester 1: Final 1/3 of French For Children A, ULAT units 5-6, Duolingo, French literature TBD

Year 3, Semester 2: First 1/3 of French For Children B, ULAT units 7-8, Duolingo, French literature TBD

Year 4, Semester 1: Second 1/3 of French For Children B, ULAT units 9-10, Duolingo, French literature TBD

Year 4, Semester 2: Final 1/3 of French For Children B, final project TBD

Alternatively, I know a student who became proficient through The Potter's School.

I so like this!!

I forgot to mention this for semester 1.1. It's more cultural than anything. Oh, and I was going to find a French cooking class in French for the last year. I would buy the ingredients and prep ahead of time so they would be able to really pay attention. Also, here is earworm:

• Like 1

Same! I'm suddenly shopping for French for the first time with my rising 6th grader. He needs grammar explicitly taught but too much writing expectations shuts him down. (dysgraphic)

I think we'll be starting with Getting Started with French, but it doesn't look like it will last long. 

Breaking the Barrier at a slower pace may be doable. One level is one high school year, so half pace? 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to disappoint you guys. I'm not a language expert.

MP died very quickly. Lots of words, not enough explanation. I read GSW French is just terrible because it teaches nothing but translation- no grammar at all. 

Honestly, I think we are going to let the learn a different language dream die. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

MP died very quickly. Lots of words, not enough explanation. I read GSW French is just terrible because it teaches nothing but translation- no grammar at all. 

No. MP is terrible. GSWF covers a lot of grammar in my opinion. And it's $20. I think you should take a break and start again. GSWF, Duolingo and Peppa Pig. That's a $20 investment and less time. Take your break and think on it later.

• Like 2

Paul Noble has French for Kids for under $10 on Audible.  It is almost nine hours of content, so it’s a great deal.  I am doing it 10 minutes a day with my second grader and it’s very methodical, focusing on constructing grammatically correct sentences.  We are two hours in, and my kid can say: “My mom wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, but my dad wanted to see the Arc de Triomphe.”  Or “I can’t go the the park now, but I want to go later.”

Paul Noble speaks English but he has a native speaker say all the French, which is great. I’d strongly recommend it as a starting point for a kid wanting to learn French.

I let them watch an episode a day of any show on Disney+ as long as it’s in French.  No subtitles, they just have absorb what they can.  Apparently kids can follow DuckTales just fine without really understanding what they are saying.  They do pick things up over time, and their accents are pretty great from just listening to real language. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Green Bean said:

This is not true about GSWF.  I have it on my shelf and it does have grammar lessons to assist.

I would urge you to give it another shot.  It's very gentle and has just the right amount for a beginner.  It has no complex grammar, but it has enough to get through about a semester of French 1.

• Like 2

The ULAT does a French for cheap. After GSWF I would move her to that, with Duo alongside both. French is pretty good on Duolingo, but unless she is reading every "hints" and taking notes, I would want to keep something alongside that explicitly teaches grammar. I liked the gentle grammar intro in GSWL, that allowed us to move smoothly into a full program after, I would hope the French version is the same.

• Like 2

From the GSWF site: 

What grammatical points does Getting Started with French cover?

Getting Started with French covers the following:

French pronunciation

Nouns

Definite articles

Indefinite articles

Singular and plural

Elision

Enchainment

Liaison

Greetings and salutations

Subjects

Verbs

Possessive adjectives

Pronouns

Linking verbs

ne...pas

Titles

Person

Numbers 1-12

The personal endings of verbs

The French language's derivation from Latin

Possession

The partitive article

Idioms

Regular vs. irregular verbs

Conjugations

Questions

Formal and informal speech

Infinitives

Prepositions

Stressed pronouns

Direct object pronouns

Je peux (pouvoir)

Expressing purpose

Expressing need with besoin

Gerunds

Usage of j'aime vs. usage of j'adore

This book only covers the beginning stages of French grammar. However, the lessons are presented in such a way as to guide homeschooled and self-taught students successfully into the study of French.

• Like 1